Strange Librarian

I didn't have to convince Mom to take me to the library. She loved going as much as I did, and there was a new book she wanted. Lincoln Rhyme something.

She opened the door for us and I was hit with the smell of old books, plants, and machinery. People scanned through books and grabbed stacks off shelves. I smiled when I saw the microfilm readers stacked against the side of a few bookshelves. Since I'd never used one before, I needed to ask the librarian for help, but a couple of people were in line ahead of me.

Sitting behind the desk with a stack of books, she skimmed through a few with long black nails. The man in line didn't even ask anything yet, and she said, "Cryptonomicon?" Her long, brown ponytail swished as she looked up.

He chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah. You must have gotten that a lot today."

"Nah, I just have a way of reading people."

That was weird. Must have been popular. Or a lucky guess? She guided him to the shelf.

The librarian came back, pointed at the older woman in front of me, and said, "The Notebook?"

The woman cleared her throat, "Yes, ma'am."

The librarian nodded. "Right this way."

Could that be another lucky guess?

I picked at my thumb. Would she guess what I needed, too? The librarian stopped near the microfilm reader, hesitated, then came closer. Her name tag said, Lila.

"You're looking for something... paranormal?"

My shoulders dropped. "Okay, how do you do that?"

She giggled. "Just the connection I have with people." She started toward the bookshelves.

"But you've never met me before." I followed her.

"Don't have to." She said over her shoulder, "So, whatcha need?" We walked toward an alcove of books.

I checked to make sure Mom wasn't around. She knew the place pretty well, so she was probably already reading her new book. I asked the librarian about the film and the local newspapers.

"You're in luck." She smiled, showing bright white teeth. "This is really cool. We actually have a whole collection of all the deaths that have happened since the town was founded." Her eyes widened.

She helped me load the film and showed me how to use the machine, then I was on my own. I pressed through a few years, checking only Fridays of each year. Someone shuffled near me.

"Cool machine, huh?" Mom leaned over my shoulder to see. It felt like a bug and I lifted my shoulder.

"Sorry." Mom said, "Did I scare you?"

"No." I kept flipping. I couldn't stop on Morrigan now, without her asking questions. When would she leave?

"So, who ya looking for?"

"I don't know right now."

"You okay?" Mom stepped back.

"Yes."

"Sheesh, I guess I'll leave you alone. You're a bit snippy."

I stared at the screen as Mom left and I took a deep breath. I should have been nicer since she brought me here, but I didn't like her hovering.

I skimmed as fast as I could, until the pages started going crooked, then warped. People's faces seemed to change into nightmares. My stomach twisted, and my hands sweated.

It got so bad I couldn't read the screen anymore. I glanced toward the librarian at her desk, who finally looked up from a SageWoman magazine featuring a girl—or a fairy?—with long red hair.