Hanging Out

Weird moods and pulses of energy came and went throughout the day. I suspected it was some connection with Morrigan. My boots echoed down the hallway after lunch and I whispered, "We should go to the library and see what to do about your old house."

Whispers swirled around my head. "That sounds great! And maybe that girl will be there so you can talk."

"I don't think —" I pressed through the door and there she was, sitting near the mystery section. Was she waiting on me? Maybe I'd made more of an impression than I thought.

Should I sit near her? I scuffed my shoes across the carpet. Not close enough to bother her, but it would give us a chance to talk if she wanted to. My eyes locked on a chair across from her, but three seats away.

I grabbed the back of the chair and glanced at the cover of the book she was reading. Detective Penny and the Moonstone Mishap. I laughed under my breath, then sat.

She rubbed her eyes and looked up. "Hey." She said, her voice more gravelly this time.

"Hi." I smiled. "Like the book? It's one of my favorites."

"Yeah, it's good."

I was unconvinced. Or maybe she was just tired.

She yawned and ignited mine.

Whispers swirled around my ears, or maybe in my head? I jolted slightly, trying not to show it.

"Ask if she wants to come over and read Penny books with you."

I glanced around, but only saw the bookshelves, couches, and Mrs. Willows looking around like she'd lost something again.

I cringed. I'd never asked someone over before. But Morrigan was here to help, so I needed to cooperate. I cleared my throat and asked her, with a ball of energy in my stomach. She really wasn't all that into the series, so I didn't expect her to say —

"Yeah. That... sounds fun." She nodded and yawned again.

"Cool!" I said a little too loud and Mrs. Willows glanced at me over her glasses.

"Sorry." I mouthed.

She winked and smiled, now sitting at her computer.

"So, can you come over today after school?" I whispered.

She nodded and shut the book. "I'll call my dad from the office real quick and meet you outside after school if he says yes."

"Okay!" I smiled as she packed her books. "But I didn't get your name before."

"It's Desirae." She smiled. "And you're Emily, right? I saw your name in all the Penny Books." She let out a weak chuckle.

That was a little embarrassing, but I was really excited to have her over and I knew Mom would be happy too.

I couldn't have done that without Morrigan, and we'd hit a wall with her old home. I wasn't sure how I could get her there, but I loved solving the mystery, and I wanted to pay her back.

***

I met with Desirae after school. She said she could stay until dark. I finally had someone to read Penny books with me and who knew what else? Maybe we could build a fort with Mom and watch movies. That was one of our favorite things to do before Mom got busy with her realtor stuff.

Desirae walked home with me. We were mostly quiet along the way since we didn't know each other yet. We'd talked a little about Penny books and some things we saw in the neighborhood.

Mom's smile stretched across her face when she met Desirae, but she didn't want to cut into our time. And I could tell she wanted to pick up her thriller books again. She'd seemed so scattered lately, worrying about me. She curled up on the couch with her book as we went upstairs.