Chapter 16: The Master's Mockery

The Master's laughter echoed through the chamber, a cruel symphony of mockery as they taunted the Doctor with gleeful abandon. "You see, Doctor," they sneered, their voice laced with malice, "this is what happens when you meddle in my affairs. You may think yourself clever, but you're nothing but a pawn in my game—a plaything to be discarded when I've grown tired of you."

The Doctor's fists clenched with impotent rage as they struggled against the Master's grip, their hearts breaking as they watched Lyra writhe in agony. They longed to rush to her side, to soothe her pain and banish the shadows that threatened to consume her—but they were powerless to act, trapped by the Master's cunning and cruelty.

Meanwhile, within the confines of the machine, Lyra's body contorted with agony as she fought against the relentless onslaught of pain. Her back arched off the cold metal surface, her muscles straining against the relentless pull of the machine as it siphoned off her essence with ruthless efficiency.

Tears streamed down Lyra's face as she gasped for breath, her vision swimming with waves of agony and despair. She could feel herself slipping away, losing herself to the darkness that threatened to consume her—until she was nothing but a shadow of her former self, a mere echo of the person she once was.

But elsewhere, aboard the TARDIS, River Song worked feverishly to hack into the Master's machine, her fingers flying across the controls with a speed born of desperation. She knew that time was running out—that if she didn't act quickly, both Lyra and herself would be lost to the abyss forever.

As she worked, a chill ran down River's spine as she noticed a strange sensation creeping over her—a sensation of fading, of slipping away into the void. She knew what it meant, knew that she was running out of time—but she couldn't give up, not now, not when Lyra's life hung in the balance.