𝐈𝐈

Charles

After a week-long break, I was once again seated on a plane heading to Melbourne. I was enjoying the first class, sipping on fine wine and indulging in salt and pepper calamari. I managed to catch a few hours of sleep.

I looked beside me. There layed Nettie, wearing comfortable pants and a hoodie, her brown hair twisted into a now half-undone braid, with earphones in her ears. I wondered what she was listening to. After all, we had been engaged for a few days already, and I still didn't know much about her. Most of the time, we didn't even see each other. She was always at home, and I had my hands full with work. I came home late at night or not at all, staying over at Alexandra's.

Telling her that I was going to marry someone else hurt. Not just me. On the day I came to tell her, she wouldn't stop crying. I didn't blame her. Everything happened so suddenly... She only calmed down after a few kisses and moans. Yes, I had a beautiful girl in front of me, but I didn't love her. It was a joy to look at her, but nothing more. Looking at her was just that, there were no butterflies dancing in my stomach, my heart didn't beat any stronger for her.

Yes, we agreed to give our marriage a year, but I doubted that anything would change. A year is a short time to be absolutely certain that I want to spend the rest of my life with someone.

She began to wake up. First, she stirred, then she opened her eyes and stretched.

"How long have I been sleeping?"

"Quite a while. We're almost landing," I replied to her.

She simply nodded. If it weren't for my mom, I would have gone to Australia alone. It was her suggestion to take Nettie with me. "It'll be a good opportunity to get to know her better," she said. At first, I objected because I wanted to take Alexandra. But Mom was adamant, so I relented.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seat belts. We'll be landing shortly," announced the flight attendant's voice over the intercom. I followed her instructions and fastened my seatbelt. Nettie did the same. She popped a piece of gum into her mouth to ease the pressure in her ears. She offered me some, but I declined. I was already accustomed to frequent takeoffs and descents - thanks to my career and my parents' money, I've traveled almost the entire world.

"I hate long flights," Nettie began. "They make my whole body ache."

I laughed. "Well, you better get used to it. If you're going to be my wife, you'll be traveling with me. Every other weekend, you'll find yourself on a different corner of the world."

"I guess so..." she sighed.

About an hour passed, and we were just picking up our luggage. We didn't have much; each of us had one larger suitcase. I felt the stares of people on me.

"We need to move, it's just a matter of time before the paparazzi arrive, and this place gets overrun by them."

She nodded. She knew how all those journalists and photographers could be - annoying, loud, and absolutely unrestrained. After all, she was from a wealthy Monaco family, just like me. Our whole lives, we had been followed by someone.

"Oh, look who's here!" I heard a familiar voice behind me.

I turned around, and there stood Max Verstappen and his girlfriend Kelly. Max and I had known each other for quite a while. We used to race together in go-karts, but during that time, we weren't particularly fond of each other. It all came to a head when I, being a little rascal who just wanted to piss Max off, pushed him off the track. When reporters later asked me what happened, I told them it was just an "inCHident." After our move to Formula, our relationship improved beyond recognition. I often traveled with him in his private jet, and since he also lived in Monaco, we visited each other. We also frequented all the good clubs together. Well, until he started dating Kelly. Since he's been with her, he's calmed down. But on the track, he was still wild.