𝐕𝐈

Antoinette

When I woke up, the sun was already high in the sky. 

With pain all over my body, I struggled to get out of bed and walked to the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. Oh, I look terrible! Like I've been a victim of domestic violence. I had purple bruises on my knees and wrists, and my neck was starting to redden because some blood vessels had burst. I better not go out into the hallway so people won't make up nonsense and report it. Hopefully, it will be better by tomorrow. I applied Max's ointment again, the one Charles brought me yesterday.

After a great breakfast - a yogurt bowl with fruit - I decided to write to my pére and turn on the TV. 

At first, I watched After, but after a while, I got bored of it. I browsed through the selection of movies and series until I noticed a title that caught my interest: "Formula 1: Drive to Survive". I pressed the button on the remote and stared at the screen.

I finished watching the entire first season. Wow. I've never been into cars in my life, but after this, they've definitely become my new obsession. Plus, from episode eight, I managed to learn more about Charles and his past.

I got up from the couch and went to get my phone, which I left charging in the bedroom. A new message from my dad appeared on the screen: "Call me when you can."

I dialed his number. "Hi, how are you? You wanted me to call..."

"I'm doing great, I hope you are too. Can I ask you a question?"

"Go ahead."

"Would it bother you if I... found someone?"

I hesitated. "Are you implying something?"

"Her name is Marcella, we met recently, and she's really nice. I'd like to invite her to dinner," he said.

"Dad, I don't know what to say. I can't imagine you with anyone other than Mom, but at the same time, I want to see you happy and content after such a long time. If she's truly the right one, then go for it..."

"Thank you, Nettie. And what about you? You should arrange a wedding date with Pascale as soon as possible. Available dates are running out, and you'll have to adapt to Charles's race schedule..."

"Pére, do we really have to get married? We, me and Charles, don't love each other and perh..."

"No discussion, the agreement is signed, and the wedding will take place," he said firmly.

I hung up. Seriously?! While my father will be happy with his new girlfriend, I'm supposed to suffer in a forced marriage just to satisfy his dead friend? How ironic!

To blow off steam, I watched another season of "Drive to Survive" and ate two bags of chips. 

Later, I took a shower, especially washing my hair, so I wouldn't look like death in the paddock tomorrow. I spent about an hour in the steamy, warm bathroom, and when I came out, I felt like a soldier after a tough but won battle. I'm still standing... There was a knock on the door, and Charles walked in. He didn't greet me; he looked seriously angry.

"Politeness dictates saying hello, or did your mother not raise you well enough?"

"Can you just shut up?! I got a fucking P5 for tomorrow!"

"Well, that's a good result," I replied.

"I could've done better!"

I sighed. "I wanted to ask if you wanted something to eat because I'm going to cook dinner, but since you're being unpleasant to me again, especially for no reason, I've decided to let you starve..."