5. Apology and answers

*knock knock*

Sargeant Bang looked up from the reports on his desk.

"You called?" Changbin stood by the open door to his office, eyebrows raised in confusion.

Sargeant Bang raised two fingers, curling them in the air to gesture for him to come in.

"What is it?" Changbin asked, he didn't want to deal with this right now when a suspect was going to come in for an interview soon.

"It's Y/N." Sargeant Bang said simply. He knew just what to say to get Changbin's attention.

And it did. Changbin's eyes widened as he walked into the office and sat down comfortably on one of the chairs, facing Sargeant Bang. "What about her?"

"She says she doesn't want to work with you anymore." Sargeant Bang gave Changbin a look, "What did you do to her?"

Changbin twitched, "Fuck, she said that?"

"Language!" Sargeant scolded.

"I may have went a little overboard with the insults." Changbin massaged his forehead in frustration, "What do i do now, Chan?"

"Well dont call me that at work, for starters." Sargeant Bang glared, "And why do you keep being a dick to her?"

Changbin's jaw clenched, "I dont know."

Three years ago, Seo Changbin had joined the 8th precinct of Seoul with only one goal- Focus on work.

But all that went down the drain the moment he saw Y/N. It was something that baffled him to the core- how he could never stop thinking about you, or how he always wanted to be around you.

He had tried, obviously, to befriend the most popular detective in the entire precinct. Funny, easy- going, intelligent Kang Y/N. Not to mention, absolutely breathtaking.

But, his cold and socially handicapped personality had proved to be a huge obstacle. At every interection, he made a fool of himself. Always said the wrong thing at the wrong times, acted too harsh or cold or too himself. All of this had caused you to pull your guards up around him, spitting back fire at his comments- never backing down from a fight.

And thus the saga continued. Changbin never tried correcting himself, he enjoyed the attention you were giving him- even if it was negative. He enjoyed the banter, the insults and the jokes made at each others expense.

Only today, it had gone too far.

"Dude.." Sargeant Bang shook his head at his lovesick yet stupid best friend, "Get your shit together."

"She- she threatened me today." Changbin gulped, placing his hands around his collar in an attempt to mimic you, "She held me like this."

Chan raised his eyebrows, "What?"

"It was so hot." Changbin sighed.

"Woah there." Chan shook his head yet again, "She is your partner. Talk like that and I'll have to file an HR complaint against you."

"I talk like this all the time." Changbin shrugged.

"Yeah, not at work!" Chan erupted, "Whatever it is- apologize or she's going to hate your guts forever."

"Wha- No! I can't do that!" Changbin whined.

Chan glared at him like a mother glaring at her tantrum throwing child, "Stop acting like a child."

"But-"

"It doesn't make you any less of a 'macho-man' to apologize. She'll appreciate you for it. Isn't that what you want? Or do you plan on marrying her while still treating her like shit?" Chan scolded.

That shut Changbin up. He realized, with a heavy heart that his boss was right. He had to make amends and they had to start somewhere.

"Fine." He muttered.

"Yes. And please- leave this slow burn romance aside and focus on the murder. Please." Chan pleaded, "I need you to work at your best."

"Alright Cha- I mean, Sargeant Bang." Changbin gave his boss and best friend a rare smile, "Thanks."

"Of course." Chan smiled back, before returning to his pocker face "Now get the fuck out."

Changbin chuckled and did just that, walking back to the interrogation room where he planned on waiting till the victim's boyfriend arrived for his interview.

You had disappeared completely before Sargeant Bang had called him. He would just apologize to you later-

Or not.

Because just as he opened the door to the tiny grey room he saw you, organizing the evidence in one corner, cleaning out the table for the interrogation.

You were back from the break room, your anger slowly dissipating with a little time you had with yourself.

You turned as you heard the door opening, and immediately a look of disdain etched your face.

Changbin ignored the throbbing in his heart, "Hey- Uh.. Can i just-"

You paused what you were doing and turned your attention to him.

He let out a breathe, "Im really sorry. I went overboard with the comments and it- it wont happen again."

You furrowed your eyebrows, you definitely didn't anticipate an apology out of him.

It was a pleasant surprise.

"Look who has feelings." Your lips twitched in a small smile, your reckless anger long gone.

Changbin looked relieved but of course he couldn't waste an opportunity to argue, "Oh, fuck off."

You raised an eyebrow, smile blooming wide. "Real good comeback, Detective."

"Yeah yeah." Changbin waved you off, "Oh by the way, I arranged for the victim's ex boyfriend and friend to come in later."

"Ex boyfriend and friend?" You questioned.

He nodded, "The other two contacts on her phone. Minho and Jimin."

"What about her mom?" You replied.

Changbin shook his head, "Lives all the way in Busan. But its curious she still has her ex boyfriend's number saved. He didn't even know she was dead when I called him."

"Oh." You raised an eyebrow, "That's interesting. Well.. Atleast we'll get some answers today."

Changbin nodded, and before he could say anything else- the door opened.

"Detectives." Aera's voice made you turn your head, "Kim Seojoon is ready for his questioning."

She turned back, and in walked a tall, muscular man. His face was pale and tear stained, eyes bloodshot and just a little bit swollen. It was the victims long term boyfriend.

The prime suspect.

"Finally." Changbin said, "Take a seat."