cap 13

Yoko and Eugene were interrupting one another while telling the events from last night, such was their anxiety to be the first to share it.

"and then she did not want anyone touching her" Eugene stopped Yoko and proceed to say "by the time she finally went to sleep, was around 6 in the morning, everybody was exhausted by that time, running after her all around the house" he finished talking.

Yoko didn't take long to continue the telling "at least she didn't cry" she shrugged as if in victory.

i was paying attention to them, and by that, i mean, i was picking up things that i never did before, Yoko had no glasses today, i could see her pupils dilating when she walked to a darker spot on the kitchen, to the fresh smell of humidity from the early morning, to the sound of them inhaling when tired of talking so much in so little time.

"enid? are you ok?" Yoko waved a hand in front of my face "are you drugged?" Eugene let out a nervous laugh as he approached me.

I could hear his heart get faster "too much information, she should go lay down" Yoko agreed, i argued that i was ok, but they were already taking me to the couch.

[...]

i woke up, i don't know how many time later, but i assume it wasn't much, because the sun was still present. lifting my head up, i saw Yoko, my legs on her lap and Divina resting on her shoulder, casually watching some culinary TV show.

i cleared my throat before speaking, but my voice was low and weak anyway "hi"

"Enid" they said in unison

"i thought you'd sleep more" Divina commented.

"I'm starving" suddenly the amazing scent of food.

i was eating a mix of everything of the kitchen in a bowl. walking slowly to my room, where i knew she was, the room was silent, except from a breathing and occasionally the sound of pages being flipped.

i opened the door, she was at the window, her eyes divided the attention between the book on her lap and the window.

i made a sound to get her attention, she turned back and i swear, her expression of surprise and a pinch of sadness.

"enid" her voice embargoedand and urgent, the stack of books that she used to climb up, wasn't as useful as before, she just jumped off, stoping right in front of me, i was the one who initiated contact.

"hi wed" i pulled her in, she was stiff at first but soon, literally melted into me. with her cheek on my shoulder and her little hand's grip on the back of my shirt, the burning sensation in my eyes made it clear how intimate this moment felt.

i heard her sniff, a confirmation that she was crying too. i pulled back to see her face, eyes, nose and cheeks red.

"you missed me?" she nodded, rubbing her left eye, i put the bowl on the ground so i could hold her better "i missed you too"

"so what were you doing?" i asked trying to cheer her up, she pointed at the book on the window "oh you were reading a book?" she nodded.

i put my right foot on the pile of books, so i could sit her on my knee, picked the book and placed in a way we both also could see the window in front of us.

it was opened in a page that had a singular photo "a books of birds" i had a big description of crows below the photo "you don't know how to read, do you?"

"no" she pointed at the picture and at window "is the same" referring at the group of black birds on a tree.

"yeah, they are crows"

"crows" she repeated

"they are also called ravens" i looked at her side profile, as she mouthed the word raven "we can go outside and see if we can find more birds from you book" she looked at me, her eyebrows lift accompanied by the corner of her lips, as she nodded.

"we'll go later, now I'm starting" i put her on the ground "i bet i can get to the kitchen first" and started slow run, so she could outrun me.