Truth Serum

Day 20: Truth Serum (2024)

This. Is. Bad.

I don't know HOW or WHY, but someone slipped a truth serum into something I ingested recently. I also don't know who did it, but when I find out (and I will find out) I will enjoy watching them suffer imense pain.

Though, that's not really my main issue at the moment. The problem is that it's almost Sophie's "beauty rest curfew" and I can't be out of my dormitory or I'll be sent to the doom room. I have very little interest in the doom room, especially if I'm the one being sent there.

Hester is definitely in our room. Dot most likely is as well. If they refrain from asking any hard questions, I might be fine. I've studied truth serums, and as long as this one wasn't made by some incredibly powerful alchemist who was willing to sacrifice one of thier fingers for this potion, it will only last for 36 hours.

I can't avoid this for much longer- so I'm going to go. Just go in, act normal, hope Hester and Dot can be quiet for once in their lives.

Hester looks up at me when I walk in, and lifts her hand in greeting. Dot isn't paying attention. Excellent. I'm trying not to look suspicious as I climb up to my bunk and pull out my uglification textbook.

"Are you... good?" Hester asks slowly, now looking up from her own book. This is bad- I feel the answer before I say it, and try desperately to prevent it. It doesn't work, of course.

"No." I say simply, looking up at her. She frowns slightly, looking at me like she's waiting for me to elaborate. If I say anything, it'll just make this whole situation worse. If I don't say anything, Hester'll get even more suspicious.

"Okay... what's wrong?" Hester asks, sounding very suspicious, which is the exact opposite of what I was going for. But before I can answer her question, the door opens dramatically, and Sophie walks in.

"Hello, darlings!" She practically yells. I'm once again exasperated by how annoying she can be. Just by walking into a room. Dot sat up. Ah. That's probably why she hadn't said anything. She was sleeping. She rubs her eyes, and reaches to turn a nearby textbook into chocolate. "How are you three?" Sophie asks.

"Go away." Says Hester.

"I'm good." Dot responds, mouth full of chocolate.

"I'm not." I say. I slap my hand over my mouth without thinking, and immediately drop it. Just act normal. Calm. Sophie gives me an odd look.

"And why is that?" She asks, at the same time Hester says, "Ani, what the fuck?"

I involuntarily respond to Sophie's question, saying, "Someone spiked something I ingested with a truth serum." I make a frustrated sound, and Rat #2 stares at me.

"WHAT?" The reaction is immediate from all three.

"Someone gave me a truth potion." I repeat. This is terrible.

And because they like making everything worse, they all say something different at the same time.

Hester shouts, "WHO?" (she also mutters, "I'll tear them to pieces.")

Dot says, "Does it work?"

Sophie says, "He really went through with it."

I don't have long to process Sophie's comment before I'm responding to Hester and Dot's questions. "I don't know who, and yes, of course it works."

But Hester's turned to Sophie, glaring. "What do you mean 'he really went through with it'?" Sophie looks thoughtful for a moment.

"Anadil do you really not know who did it?" She's got that terrible sophie-smile on her face, and it sends chills down her back.