Chapter one.

Mille

"Welcome to Briewood." I read the sign as we drove past. My mom and her boyfriend decided that we should move here for a 'change of scenery.' I'm not against it, I mean I'm going to miss New York but it was getting old, but they chose the worst time to move. I was getting ready to ask my crush to the upcoming school dance. My sister, Skylar, was having the best time of her life on the basketball team, and there was a big game coming up. And my big brother, well he didn't have anything coming up, but still !  

My mom looked back at her three, slightly sad kids, smiling softly, she said "I know you guys are sad about leaving New York but, I think you guys will have an amazing time here." 

Silence.

She sighed and sat back down. We soon parked in our new driveway at our new house, the moving truck parked behind us. "Okay, start grabbing boxes and putting them inside." Mom's boyfriend, Gale, said. We started grabbing boxes of our stuff. As we were walking, our neighbors came over,

"Hey there kiddos, you new here?" A man, who looked to be in his late fifties said, his wife by his side. 

"Uhh yeah, umm I'm James, this is my little sister Millie, and my other little sister Skylar, my mom and her boyfriend are inside right now."

“Nice to meet you, James, Millie, and Skylar." The man's wife said, putting out her hand. James shook her hand first then me, then Skylar. They introduced themselves, the man's name was Carl and his wife's was Lilith. For some reason, I got a weird vibe from them, their eyes were dark, not like they had dark colored eyes, they were almost scary.

 Mom and Gale came out and started talking to them as we walked in.

"Did you guys get a weird vibe from them?" James let out a big sigh.

"Oh my God, yes. They were so weird, I hated that." I groaned 

" Yeah they did seem a bit weird, but it may be because we're not around from here, maybe that's what everyone from here is like." Skylar said. I shrugged and we went outside to get more boxes.

We finished taking out our boxes and were cleaning up a bit. It was a two floor house with three bathrooms, one bedroom and two master bedrooms, one kitchen, living room and a basement. Mom and her boyfriend got one of the master bedrooms and James got the other, me and Skylar shared the other bedroom. We took some bigger things from our old apartment, like our couch, tv, some tables and our beds. "Oh by the way, we already set you up in your school you're starting on Monday." Mom said.

"And guess what, the local school goes from 6th to 12th grade so you'll be together" Gale said, smiling. 

"Oh that's cool, right guys" Skylar signed."Come on he's trying,"

"I know it's just, it happened too soon. The affair, the divorce, dad's death. " I signed back. 

James and Skylar nodded.  About four months ago, dad found out about mom's affair, well, all of us found out. He divorced her, and we went with him, but one day on his way to work, he got in a car accident. Then custody went to mom, we talked about the affair, she apologized for the whole thing but she and Gale were in 'love' and she still wanted to have a relationship with him and us. 

Things felt like they were just brushed under the rug. I don't know about how James and Skylar feel about this exactly, but we all still have a little grudge against mom. But there's nothing you can do besides cry or deal with it. And you know, my dad died right before my 15th birthday. So, yay.

It was 11:00 pm or so. I was organizing my side of the room. I made my bed, and got in, slowly drifting to sleep.

***