Chapter three.

Millie

The next day at school confirmed my suspicions that that guy probably wasn't just a kid joking around. When I walked into the bathroom, I saw one of the stalls “Our God waits patiently for the day to come. And when it does, hell fire shall rain upon those who defy our beliefs.” And it was surrounded by that sign, the hexagon with a triangle and pentagon in the middle. I took a picture of it, when I came back later, it was gone, almost like it was never there.  I went home and searched the symbol up and it was the sign of a satanic canible cult that was found in 1897 they were called “The Lord's Chosen Ones”  but it was a small cult and was quickly destroyed. 

“I did some research on that symbol we saw, it was the symbol of some old cult in the 1800’s that was destroyed. I think Jacob was right about it just being some kids messing around. But  the actual cult is very interesting.” I told James and Skylar.

“What is it with you and true crime?” James sighed.

“James you're just boring.” Skylar joked, but her smile quickly faded. “Guys…can I talk to you about something.”

“Yeah of course… what's wrong?” I asked sitting up.

She sat up and closed the door before talking “I heard Gale talking to mom. He was saying that they should put us up for adoption. Because ‘we were the children of that idiot’ and ‘ he didn't want to father a bunch of useless children that weren't even his’. And…and mom agreed with him and she said she would think about it”

Silence filled the room, suffocating everyone in it.

“W..what?” James' voice was shaky as he said it.

I felt hurt and betrayed… No, I was angry. Not only did she cheat on Dad and not even bother to fight for custody, she's giving us up again. Betraying us again.

Tears of hatred filled my eyes. “Fine, she can do whatever the fuck she wants. I'm tired of  dealing with her and acting like she cares.”  I spit the words out, my words full of anger but my voice full of sadness. Though I tried to deny it, I still cared about my mom, I was still hurt that she would give us up for a dude she met three years ago. She cares more about her boyfriend than her family. Her children, me.

***

James

The next day was about as good as stepping on a nail. Millie didn't say a word to Mom.

"Mille? Did you do your homework?" Millie ignored her, as if she wasn't there.

"Millie? I don't know why you are mad at me but can't you drop it." Once again, Millie ignored her.

"Your mother is talking to you, it's rude to ignore people." Gale said matter-of-factly.

Millie sighed, realizing that she was in a situation where she couldn't win."Yes, you literally saw me doing it.

"No need for an attitude missy" Gale snapped. Millie swallowed her pride and her words down.

"Sorry."

Gale gave a look of confidence, fucking asshole, getting a power high from putting my sister down. I tapped her arm and signed her, "You want to go into the forest?"

I saw the annoyance melt from her face and a small smile replaced it. We stood up and walked out. Skylar sat on the hood of the car sketching a drawing of the house.

"Hey, Skylar, you wanna join us, we're going out to the forest. You could find some new plants to draw."

I saw her perk up she rushed inside and quickly ran out with a brown journal bag, overflowing with papers and random trinkets.

***
After exploring we found an old abandoned shed. Millie was trying to climb on top of it. I was trying (and failing) to convince her not to. And Skylar was trying to catch a lizard.

"Millie, I'm pretty sure this thing is still standing out of pure luck. There is no way this thing will be able to hold the weight of an ant, which makes you think it can hold you!"

"Pure stupidity!" She said rolling into the roof of it. Surprisingly, it didn't collapse. "See I told you!" There was a creak and she quickly got down.

I gave a prideful smirk and she hit my arm playfully, Skylar had finally caught the lizard and had drew it. She set the little green reptile down and it scattered away.

Skylar bounced over, showing the drawing of the lizard, it seemed pretty realistic, but she messed up on the head so it looked a little lopsided but it was cute.

If only this lasted all day, but it started getting late and we headed home. As soon as we  walked in the door we were met with the worried faces of Mom and Gale.

"Where were you!" Mom yelled.

"We went out to the forest, we weren't gone very long-" Millie was cut off by mom yelling.

"Do you know how worried I was, God mille, do you even think about the consequences of you actions! What if you got lost!"

"Mom it's not even that serious."

Gale cut in."That is no excuse missy, your mother and me were worried sick."

"That's new." Mille mutter underneath her breath.

Gale's face harded."That's it your grounded, I'm tired of your attitude and back talk. You will learn to respect me and your mother."

I went in front of Mille. "Mom it was my idea, I'll take the blame it's fine–"

"No, James, I know she's your younger sister, but she needs to learn."

I tried to come up with something to help Millie but she stormed off to her room. Gale scowled at the stairs as she walked up. "You kids go to sleep as well, me and your mother need to talk about something."

We went up the stairs going to our rooms.

This chapter took me way longer then it needed to, but I hope you enjoyed.-Mads