Chapter 9

200 Reads 19 March 2024 ! VOTE AND COMMENT!

⚠️ WARNING : This Chapter contains scenes of domestic violence and gore that might trigger some of you all. Read at your own risk !

All the characters till now:

Romano  Family                Ricci Family
Valentina (Daughter)      Salvatore (Son)
Mateo (Eldest Son)           Damien (Eldest Son)          
Alessandro (Father)         Saintino (Father)
Rose (Mother)                     Amara (Mother)

..............

Flashback -

Young Valentina is running in her school uniform, breathless and anxious.

"Mateo, let's go home," I plead, gasping for breath as I catch up to him.

It happened when I was in the 2nd year of high school, a time filled with uncertainty and fear.

He yawns lazily while resting beside the lake, completely unaware of my distress.

"When are you going to come home?" I ask, my voice tinged with worry and frustration.

That was also the year Mateo graduated from high school and officially became an adult. But instead of pursuing further education, he chose to idle around the house, relying on money or picking fights with unsuspecting passersby.

In another scene from the past, Mateo is on the verge of hitting a young man, his anger palpable as he threatens violence.

For my father, the eldest son is the "pillar of the house." If that pillar is not strong, he blames my mother for failing to maintain the family and teach the children, an image that haunts me to this day - the sight of my father beating my mother, a painful reminder of the fragility of our family.

And I rush to find Mateo after school, my heart pounding like a madman on the run.

"When it's time, I'll be back. I'm happy today, just go home," Mateo says dismissively, his tone dripping with indifference.

I tremble with anger, my hands shaking uncontrollably as I try to contain the rage boiling within me.

"Because of you, Mom... MOM!" I shout, my voice cracking with emotion.

He takes a drag of his cigarette, exhaling a cloud of smoke before responding callously, "So what? Or you can endure it for her... Ah, nevermind. Give me the money you have and go," he demands, his last cigarette packet empty, signaling his impatience.

I'm shocked and disgusted by his audacity, standing there penniless but defiant.

"Even if I had money, I wouldn't give it to someone like you," I declare, refusing to bow down to his demands as I stare down at him.

"Are you crazy?" Mateo retorts, his expression twisted with contempt.

Yes, I'm crazy. I'm fucking angry.

Mateo knows that if he acts out, Dad will beat Mom, a fact that fills me with a sense of helplessness and fury.

As he rises slowly from his seat, I brace myself for what's to come, the tension in the air thick with foreboding.

"You brat still hasn't been hit enough. Keep coming here, huh?" Mateo sneers, his words laced with malice.

And take that weakness, go out more.

His words cut deep, a reminder that in his eyes, what a woman says holds no value at all.

A memory of my beaten and broken mother lying on the floor, the sight filling me with a mix of sorrow and rage, a heaviness settling in my chest as I grapple with the injustice of it all.