Chapter 17

Vote and comment! Your feedback means a lot to me.

Salvatore's intense gaze locks onto mine as he probes for any hint of distress in my eyes, his concern palpable in the air between us.

As I recall the unsettling feeling of being followed, a shiver runs down my spine. "Yes, there were moments when I felt like someone was trailing me, but every time I turned around, there was no one there," I explain, the memory still fresh in my mind.

His response surprises me. "Those were our people," Salvatore reveals, his tone carrying a mix of reassurance and determination. "I had them watch over you discreetly to ensure your safety. However, in light of today's events, I'll have to reconsider our security measures."

I raise my hands in protest, a wave of reluctance washing over me. "That's not necessary," I interject, my voice trembling slightly. "If you felt the need to assign a bodyguard to protect me, does that mean the break-in today wasn't just a random act of theft, but something more sinister?" I inquire, my heart pounding with anticipation.

Salvatore's expression grows solemn as he weighs his words carefully. "I can't say for certain," he admits, his gaze flickering away before returning to meet mine. "But there's a possibility."

I can't help but feel a wave of relief wash over me as Salvatore's voice breaks through my swirling thoughts. "I, can I go to bed?" he asks, his tone carrying a hint of weariness.

My eyes widen in surprise at his unexpected request. "Here?" I echo, my mind struggling to process the idea.

"Yup," he confirms, deftly untying the bow of his apron and casting it aside.

An awkward silence descends upon us, filled with unspoken questions and uncertainty. I search for words to break the tension, my mind racing with thoughts of the cramped space we occupy.

"As you can see, this is the entire room," I gesture around us, attempting to lighten the mood with a touch of humor. Despite my efforts, it's clear that my cozy one-bedroom flat doesn't offer much in terms of extra space.

Her bedroom:

"I know," he murmurs, his movements deliberate and graceful as he removes the apron from around his neck, revealing the defined muscles beneath his shirt in a slow, tantalizing motion

Settling into a chair, he listens quietly as I express my concerns about the limited space in our humble abode. Before I can finish, he interrupts with a gentle assurance, "If you're bothered, Bella, then I'll stay outside."

"I can't just leave my wife alone and go home," Salvatore's voice is tinged with worry as he speaks. "That guy was someone who only took seconds to open that door. There's a chance he will be around here." His expression softens into a gentle smile, reminiscent of a child seeking comfort. "If I went home in this state, I wouldn't be able to sleep no matter what." With that, he turns around to retrieve his blazer, his actions a testament to his unwavering dedication to my safety and well-being.