s i x t y s e v e n

"What is that around your neck?"

Fuck. If she figured out I had been in contact with Buggy, I was absolutely screwed.

"It's nothing," I lied, pulling my shirt up to make sure it was completely concealed.

I had hoped that she wouldn't press the issue; that she would just let it be. Of course, I wasn't that lucky. She seemed fixated on it.

"We should have searched you when you were out. Fuck, we're so stupid."

My heart was pounding now. I had two options for what to do in this situation.

Option one was to tell her the whole truth, to bank on the possibility that she just might regret what she did and want to help me. I quickly decided against that option.

I had learned my lesson about a hundred times now. I couldn't trust these clowns. Not even the ones that seemed nice sometimes. Dilly had already screwed me over. It wouldn't be hard for her to do it again.

Option two was to just lie the best I could. For all she knew, it was just a regular necklace and nothing suspicious. If I could convince her of that, she'd most likely still take it off me.

That was an upsetting thought - I'd lose my connection to Buggy. If anything went wrong with our plan, I wouldn't be able to communicate it to him. But it was better than her figuring out it was a phone, that I had talked to Buggy. If that happened, I'd either be executed, or they would sail where Buggy would never find us.

So, I did my best to lie. "Listen, it's just a necklace. It was a gift from my parents, years ago. It's the one thing I got to bring from my town. Please, let me keep it."

Dilly stared at me for a moment, seemingly making up her decision. Finally, she said, "Let me see it."

Fuck, I thought. I prayed she wouldn't be smart enough to try and open it. I knew that if I tried to deny her, refuse to give it to her that it would just make her more suspicious. My best option was to do as she asked.

Begrudgingly, I undid the clasp of the necklace, and slipped it off. Holding it in my palm, I could feel the snail jingle inside of the metal container. I prayed that she wouldn't feel that.

I gave it to her. The second it was out of my hand, I felt a lot less safe. It was like I was handing over Buggy. This was my only means of contacting him. I desperately didn't want to lose it.

"It's a very unique necklace," she commented, moving the case in her hand and getting a good look at it. "But it seems harmless."

I had to repress the urge to sigh in relief at that. I just gave a small smile. "So, can I keep it?"

"Sure. Whatever. Just don't let any other pirates steal it. They'll want it for the gold."

So, I slipped the necklace back on. I felt instantly better having it around my neck once again. I made sure it was concealed as best as I could.

"So, to the navigation room?" I asked, wanting to change the subject.

She didn't seem to notice it. She just nodded, then lead me up to the room. I had hoped the room would be empty, but of course not.

Arlene was sitting on the table, smoking a cigarette. She got this creepy grin across her face when she saw me. She jumped down from the table, sauntering over to me.

"If it isn't the whore."

It was hard to bite my tongue but I somehow managed it. Arlene was unpredictable. If I angered her, who knows what she might do. It was clear she wanted me dead. She wanted me to suffer, so it wouldn't be a quick death either.