CHAPTER NINE: The Camping

As expected, Anna went home and scolded him and his brother. She told them off for fighting like drunken men. She was still unhappy with Brent's attitude and warned him she would kick him out if he did not change. Glace wasn't sure if their mom meant it. Mr. Bell wasn't pleased either. He kept glancing at him as if he were scared he would change into a monster.

His mom had already warned him to avoid his brother, but it was hard to ignore Brent when he got angry. Glace knew he wouldn't be able to resist it anyway. He knew he couldn't stay calm if the situation got worse. That's why they ended up fighting.

Glace noticed cracks in the wall from where Brent had landed. He was hoping Brent hadn't broken any bones. However, Brent seemed fine, as if he had been through that kind of fight before.

The roosters from the neighbor were crowing when Glace sat down in the kitchen. Brent ate his sandwich across from him. He was used to his brother glaring at him, but now Brent stared out of the open window. It seemed like Brent had been talking to their mom before he arrived. Whatever they discussed didn't look like it ended well. Brent had that same expression every time their mother scolded him.

"Finish that sandwich," Anna said, placing a mug of milk on the table and pointing to the sandwich in the middle. "I won't be here until tomorrow," she said. "I have to go to a conference, and George will take care of you two."

No one said a word. Glace watched his milk steam.

"I don't want to hear that you fought again," she sighed. "God, can we just have a normal day without you two trying to kill each other? I know you two aren't happy with each other, but please think sometimes."

Brent sneered and rolled his eyes. He muttered something, but Glace didn't hear it.

"Brent, I'm warning you," Anna said coldly. "I'm keeping an eye on you. We've already talked about this. Just please."

"You want peace? You can't even listen to me," he said.

"Don't speak to me like that. If you want to prove me wrong, show it. Watch your actions. I won't tolerate your behavior anymore."

"You can't tell me what to do!" Brent stood up from his seat. "You're not even—"

"You stop it right now!" Anna exclaimed.

Glace looked at Brent and their mom in shock. It was something he had never witnessed before—Brent disrespectfully speaking to their mother. From their early years, Brent had always loved and respected their mother. While Brent was the favorite child, Glace couldn't fathom what could have brought him to address their mother as if she were a stranger. Glace couldn't even tell if their recent fight was still the cause of this argument.

Brent pushed his chair back and stood up, but their mother promptly instructed him to sit again. He complied reluctantly.

"George has decided to take you both camping," Anna explained. "You can choose to go with him or stay here alone. No one except you and George will be allowed to enter the house. And if you plan on staying and inviting your friends over, forget about it." Anna glared at Brent while Glace focused on the table, sipping his milk.

"He'll be here soon. I'll get my things ready," she added before leaving the kitchen.

Glace sighed and looked at his sandwich. He wasn't hungry, but he knew he needed to eat. He picked up the sandwich from the plate and ate, ignoring Brent's menacing gaze.

"Who made this?" he asked abruptly, rushing to the garbage can and spitting out what he had eaten.

"I made it for you. I thought you'd enjoy it." Brent chuckled.