Chapter 2: Bravo Base

1310 HOURS, AUGUST 7, 2557 (MILITARY CALLENDER) / OUM SYSTEM, BRAVO BASE, PLANET REMNANT

Colonel Sienna Kahn, a female tiger Faunus, watched as the D77-TC Pelican, Echo 419, slowly descended onto the landing pad below.

Beforehand, the Colonel was informed by Senior Airman Jacob Frye that they had managed to recover a SPARTAN-II from the Emerald Forest . . . Sierra-117 . . . and she wanted to meet this new Spartan personally.

She had heard the stories about the legendary Master Chief, how other SPARTAN-IIs, and those that served with him, thought of the Master Chief as a hero, a savior, a demon, and someone they could respect. Someone they were glad they weren't on the receiving end of in battle.

Khan watched as the metal hatch slowly opened. The Marines from Charlie Squad marched off the Pelican with the Master Chief behind them. The Marines and Spartan saluted Khan, and she returned the salute.

"At ease," The tiger Faunus said, "Charlie Squad, you're all dismissed." She looked towards the Spartan.

The Spartan stood at around 7 feet, average height for a Spartan in MJOLNIR armor. The armor gave Khan a sense of fear when she saw it, though she didn't let that show.

"Sierra-117, welcome to Bravo Base. Follow me." Khan said. She turned around and walked off, she could hear and feet the Spartans footsteps as they walked off the airfield.

———

John stood in front of Colonel Khan's desk, hands clasped behind him and feet 12 inches apart, "parade rest" as it were called.

When he had seen Colonel Khan for the first time, he had thought the tiger ears on her head were fake, though he saw them twitch from time to time, it was . . . weird to say the least. The last thing he expected to see was a human with animalistic traits.

"Since you're new here, I'll keep this brief," Colonel Khan said, sitting behind her desk, looking at a datapad. "I am Colonel Sienna Khan, though you most likely knew due to the IFF tags. I am the base commander of Bravo Base. Now, I understand that you might be wondering why or even how you managed to arrive on this world, and to tell you the truth, it's . . . complicated." She placed the datapad on the desk and pushed it up to the front of the table.

"Take it," Khan said, "It has all the information you need to know about this world and how long the UNSC has been here, though I recommend you read it here, almost nobody of Remnant decent, besides myself and a few others, know that you have died and been brought back from the dead by some mystical means."

John nodded in understanding, it would be weird to find out that someone that you have served with or looked up to had died before and came back from the dead. "I understand, ma'am."

He took the datapad and read through the information on it. Not even a page in, John's eyes widened at the sight of one of the names, Sam-034.

Sam was the first SPARTAN-II to die in combat. John remembered it almost as if it were recent, how Sam stayed behind to detonate an ANVIL-II missile in the reactor of a Covenant ship, it was their first mission against the Covenant, and it was the mission that showed the Spartans that they were, in fact, mortal.

As John read through the information, he found himself trying to accept the reality that every dead Spartan, every dead Marine, everyone he had served and failed to protect, were here. On Remnant.

He also discovered that there were more Spartans, hundreds in fact. He didn't expect there to be hundreds of Spartans, perhaps the majority were Remnant-born Spartans? Though, that theory seemed to collapse. These Spartans were from his world, he had no idea of these SPARTAN-IIIs existence. And with this many, ONI could have created an army of Spartans.

When John finished reading the files, he turned off the datapad and placed it on Khan's desk before returning to parade rest.

"Now that you've been briefed," Khan said, she looked up at John, "You will be temporarily stationed here until Office of Naval Intelligence operators extract you and have a cover story made of your recovery. Until then, you will be residing with Spartan team Noble, since they are currently on a mission of their own, you will have to wait 'til your new 'roommates' come back. I will have two Marines escort you to Noble's quarters."

Two Marines entered the room. John saluted Colonel Khan, turned around, and was escorted out of the room by the two Marines.

———

John walked between the two Marines as they walked towards Noble Teams quarters. He checked Cortana's recovery: eight hours.

He would have given Cortana to Colonel Khan, but ever since Requiem and what had happened aboard the UNSC Infinity—a supercarrier made after the Human-Covenant War— he didn't want to risk Cortana's deletion. Not by Captain Del Rio. Not by any UNSC technician. And surely not by any aliens. Not if there is a chance that she could be saved, even if it's slim.

John entered Noble Team's quarters and took in his surroundings. There was a line of three bunk beds on his left, a table with a computer on the right, and a vent on top of the door frame.

There was a small carving on one of the bunks. John walked over and saw a triangle with two blades crossing out of it with a "v" in between the blades. That must have been the symbol of Noble Team.

It was still hard for John to believe that there was an entire team of Spartans on Remnant, and even harder to believe that there were hundreds of Spartans at all. But here it was, staring at him in the face. Perhaps there was a chance that Cortana was given the same treatment? Though only time could tell. For all he knew . . . the reboot was just more information, or perhaps a last goodbye before Cortana dies.

He hoped to . . . someone, that that never becomes a reality.

Author's Note: I apologize for some of the bad writing within this chapter, I do hope that the next one will be okay. Most of this was made late at night and it has been a while since I last wrote a story. I hope I will do better for the next chapter.