Today is the Day

Roy Harper also known as Speedy walks through the alleyway in Star City mumbling about Green Arrow and the Just League. All of a sudden he hears something from the shadows. Quickly he turns around bow in hand with an arrow ready to be released. 

"Come out now." Roy's voice calls out his eyes narrowing at the shadowy figure that crawled down the side of the wall. Roy drops his bow down when he sees the glowing yellow eyes of the figure as they step out of the shadows. "Kai, what the Hell. I could have shot you." Roy yelled as the figure stepped out of the shadows to show a teen with blue fur and a tail.  "We both know that I would have dodged the arrow," Kai says his German accent evident in his voice. 

"Whatever. Did Green send you or something." Roy says rolling his eyes though unseen by the other thanks to his mask. "Actually, he told Mr. Canary and Ms. Canary told me," Kai says making his way over to Roy as his tail wraps around his waist. : Of course. Look I'm not going back there and I'm not joining that team of sidekicks." Roy says putting his bow away. 

"And why not? Ms. Canary says that she will introduce me to them tomorrow. It would be nice to have a familiar face there." Kai says grinning up at Roy. "No. Oh, sorry. NEIN!" Roy yells at him before storming off. Only to stop when Kai appears in front of him in a puff of grey smoke.  "Don't make fun of me. I speak and understand English perfectly fine." Kain says glaring up at the older teen.  "When you first met Arrow you always mispronounced his name," Roy says raising a brow. 

"Well, that's different," Kai says defensively. Roy just pushes past him and continues to walk away. "Just leave me alone. I don't want to see or talk to you." Roy says storming off only to stop when Kai grabs his arm holding him in place. "Roy, where friends you can tell me anything. So what's wrong." Kai pleads. "We are not friends. You're just some freak who Canary and the rest of the Justice League took pity on." Roy says yanking his arm back and leaving a hurt Kai in the alleyway with his thoughts.  Roy realizing what he had just said turned back around to apologize to the younger teen only to see smoke where Kai previously stood.  "Stupid," Roy says to himself before leaving the alleyway. 

Kai sat on his bed in the room he was staying at in Canary's apartment thinking over his encounter with Roy earlier that day. A knock interrupts his thoughts. "Come in." He calls out. Canary also known as  Dinah Lance comes in with a smile on her face. "Hey, how are you doing," Dinah asks walking up to Kai who has transformed into his more human-looking form. " I am doing good Ms. Canary" Kai says smiling at his mentor. "Kai you know you can just call me Dinah when we're not in our hero suits," Dinah says taking a seat next to Kai on his bed. "Right sorry, Ms. Dinah," Kai says rubbing the back of his head. Dinah signs realizing that's the best she would get from him. 

"Are you excited to meet the team tomorrow?" Dinah asks looking on and frowning when she sees Kai's smile falter a bit. "I guess. I just don't... I don't know how to really know how the whole teammates or friends thing works." Kai says looking at Dinah for any advice on the situation. "Kai you just need to be yourself and they will like you. I'm sure you will get along with all of them especially Robin you both have many of the same interests." Dinah says placing a reassuring hand on Kai's shoulder. " Really," Kai asks perking up slightly. "Really, now get some rest, 'cause tomorrow is a big day for you," Dinah says placing a small kiss on Kai's head before leaving. 

Kai stood in the shadows in the cave as he watched his soon-to-be teammate walk in in their civilian clothing. Kai didn't know why but his tail couldn't stop wagging despite Kai's countless attempts to keep it at bay. 

"This cave was the original secret sanctuary of the Justice League," Batman tells the 4 boys. "We're calling it into service once again. Since you four are determined to stay together and fight you'll do it on the League's terms." Batman says as he walks away from the center of the room." Red Tornado has volunteered to live here and be your supervisor. Black Canary is in charge of training. And I will deploy you on mission." Batman says. Kai watches silently from the shadows his emotions all over the place, ranging from nervous to excited. 

"Real Mission," A short guy with sunglasses asks. "Yes but covert" Batman clarifies stepping closer to the boy who Kai assumes is Robin Batman's protege. "The League will still handle the obvious stuff," Flash says stepping behind his own protege, the guy with red hair. "There's a reason we have the big targets on our chest." He continues. " But Cadmus proves bad guys are getting smarted. Batman needs a team that can operate on the sly." Aquaman says.

"The six of you will be a team," Batman says. "Cool! Wait... Five?" Robin asks confused. Martian ManHunter steps out of the shadows that Kai still hides in with a green-skined, red-haired girl. "This is the Martian ManHunters niece. Miss Martian" Batman introduces. 

"Hi," she says raising her left hand to give them a small wave. "Liking this gig more every minute." Kid Flash says moving to stand in front of Robin and Superboy. "Uh, Welcome aboard, I'm Kid Flash. That Robin, Aqualad. It's cool if you forget their names" Kid Flash says 

"I'm Honored to be included. " Miss Martian says. "Batman did you not say six? With Miss Martian that only makes five of us" As soon as Aqualad finished his sentence, a puff of grey smoke appeared in front of them. The four boys not knowing what was happening quickly got ready for a fight. Once the smoke cleared. Kai appeared in a crouch position as his tail wagged from side to side conveying his excitement. 

"And your sixth member. Nightcrawler, protege" Batman introduces as Kai stands up with a smile on his face. "Hallo, schön dich kennen zu lernen. Ich bin Nightcrawler" Kai says not realizing he switched to German in his excitement. "Ahem, Nightcrawler not everyone knows German," Batman says seeing the confused looks on almost everyone and the amazed look on his own protege. "Right sorry. Hello, nice to meet you. "I'm Nightcrawler." Kai reintroduces himself in English this time. 

Aqualad, Robin, and Kid Flash all walk over to Kai, and Miss Martian, to talk and get to know the two of them. However, Superboy stayed behind. "Hey, Superboy come meet Miss M and Nightcrawler!" Robin shouts at the brooding male. Superboy walks over the the team. Miss Martian uses her shape-shifting ability to change the color of her shirt to match Superboy. "I like your shirt." She says. Superboy gives her a small smile. Robin nudges his chest before turning his attention towards Kai smiling at him before he looks at Awualad. 

"Today is the day," Aqualad says making all of them smile.