Chapter 13

"You okay?" Anthony asked you softly as you stared out the window, directly at the side-view mirror, making sure that Keigo was still following. "You've been awfully quiet since we left the fair. Are ya mad at me?"

You let out a breath, ripping your eyes away from Keigo's truck as you turned to face forward, sinking yourself into the seat as you crossed your arms. You weren't sure how you felt, to be honest. If he had asked you right after the Ferris wheel, you'd probably have told him yes, but after everything that just happened with Nugget, the only thing you felt was worry.

"Why would ya think I'm mad?"

"The lack of talking for starters," he replied, tilting his head slightly as he cracked his neck before letting out a large breath. "I just figured you'd have plenty to say after I disappeared off the Ferris wheel-"

"Of course I've got plenty to fuckin' say to ya about it," You snapped, a surge of frustration rushing forward before glancing back at the side-view mirror again and frowning. Despite your annoyance at Anthony's obvious efforts to push you together, you'd be lying if you said you hadn't enjoyed yourself.

Keigo was friendly, he was kind, and he'd comforted you when you really needed it. He didn't judge, didn't make a move; he just wanted to help you like you had helped him at the bonfire. You found him to be refreshing, plus he'd even allowed you to talk about Luke. He was more than happy to just listen because remembering and talking about those memories made you happy.

It was refreshing.

"Look," you said, your voice softening slightly as you turned to look at him. "I appreciate everything you're trying to do, but I don't want ya getting involved anymore. I think he's nice, I like him as a friend, but he's got issues he needs to work through, just like me. We can relate to each other, vent and be there, but I don't think I'm ready for anything more just yet. Can ya respect that enough to just let us be? Please?"

He let out a heavy sigh before taking off his hat, reaching over and putting it onto your head with a soft chuckle. You couldn't help but smile as it messed up your hair, covering your eyes for just a second.

"Yeah, I think I can do that. Do ya think he's gonna be alright? I feel really bad about his chicken." He said with a frown.

You frowned yourself at the question, reaching up and removing Anthony's hat and putting it between you on the seat. You wanted to believe that Keigo would be okay, but it was obvious just how much Nugget meant to him. You were fairly certain the look of devastation on his face as he held her would haunt you, and you wanted nothing more than to be able to just take his pain away. You sighed slightly, shifting in your seat as you voiced allowed your suspicions about what had really happened to Nugget.

"Anthony, be honest with me 'cause somethin' ain't addin' up about all this. Don't ya think it's a lil' bit weird that a dog just decided to up and walk into the barn past all those other chickens, just to end up nabbing Nugget? She was so close to the back, it don't really make no sense to me."

He frowned slightly before letting out a small hum of thought, "Now that ya mention it, you're not wrong. A dog wouldn't just pick or choose a chicken like that. It would've gone after the first thing it could get its damn jaws on." He paused, and you watched with interest as his jaw clenched suddenly, his knuckles turning white on the steering wheel as he took a deep breath. Why the hell was he acting like he knew something? What was he not telling you?

"I'll call Jaxson once we get to your place, get it sorted—"

"No," you said, quickly cutting him off. "Call once Keigo goes home for the night. He said at the fair he didn't want to do nothin' about it, that he felt stupid. If he finds out we're diggin' into it, it might upset him."