Chapter-1

"Layla! Stop!"

"Just hear me out for one minute!"

"Layla!"

"What do you want? Stop following me!", Layla growled making me wince. Her blue eyes were turning black now meaning her wolf was on the surface. I immediately took a step back not wanting to face the anger of her wolf as well.

"I will if you just let me talk to you for a few minutes", my voice was low but clear, so that her wolf could understand I was here not to fight her, but to talk.

"There is nothing to talk, I told you I'm not interested in Kyle"

Kyle was her mate in the same school she was studying, but one year older than her, soon to be eighteen. Three days ago they found out they were mates and if I wasn't in there in a hidden place, Layla would have definitely rejected Kyle. Fortunately, my interruption had stopped the process, buying me some more time to convince them. And also after the first attempt, Layla didn't try to reject him again.

That was a good sign. Most of the wolves lose their courage to deny their partners after their first meeting as mates. The more they saw each other, the more it would be harder for them to refuse the bond.

"But, Kyle needs you", I tried.

She laughed humourlessly shaking her head before adjusting her glasses. Her long light blonde hair was shining golden in the evening sunlight and she was looking really pretty.

"My delusional Mel honey, what Kyle really needed is drugs and alcohol, not me" She said pointing to herself.

That wasn't true. Yes, Kyle was addicted to drugs. But he needed Layla more than ever. Unlike Layla, Kyle wasn't blessed with a loving family. Money was their only priority. As his brother and him never got along, he had always been a loner. The people he called his friends gave him nothing, except this habit.

"You could change him" I said taking a step forward slowly, "You're his mate, an other half. He will listen to you in no matter of time"

Irritation shone through her face immediate, hearing my words.

"He is a drug addict, can't you see that, Mel? I barely can change myself and you're expecting me to change him? It isn't my purpose of my life. I wasn't born just so I could change him! I'm not his therapist!"

When I opened my mouth to speak, she raised her hand.

"Enough, Mel! You know you're giving me hard time and pushing me to accept him while all these years Kyle had always been aware of the truth. Unlike me, he shifted four years ago which means his wolf definitely would have told him who I was to him. Still, he decided not to acknowledge me Or disclose the truth. Just been avoiding me like I was some kind of stranger"

I looked down not knowing what to say. She was right. Why did the idea decide to stay away from her? Did he not want her too? Then why he didn't make any effort to refuse the bond when Layla finally found out they both were mates?

So many unanswered questions, I needed to talk with him tomorrow.

Layla was quiet for a moment, a sad look passing her face. Closing her eyes, she clenched her books in her hands tightly. She was returning to her home after the school was over. So I grabbed the opportunity to have a talk with her. It was hard, especially after seeing the sad look on her face. I wanted to hug her and make her feel better.
But knowing she wouldn't like it, I kept my distance away.

"Why does it have to be him?"

"Layla... "

"Why?", she slowly opened her now glistened eyes before adjusting her glasses and looking away.

"I always imagined myself having a happy ending with my mate. But I somehow ended up with him. It's not fair"

It was fair enough, yet Layla refused to see that way. She could have a happy ending with Kyle if she tried, but it seemed like she was using whatever excuses she could find in order to avoid being with him.

I didn't voice out my thoughts though. She was already stressed, my opinions would only aggregate more. I decided to talk with Kyle before coming to her again. For now, no more convincing Layla.

Heaving a sigh, she continued as I remained silent, "If you're planning to talk to him, I suggest you not. He is physically very violent, he might hurt you"

I smiled at that, "I think I will be fine, but thank you"

Humming she just shrugged.

"Your wish. Okay, now I'm leaving. Don't follow me again, Mel. I'm serious"

"Of course", I quickly replied giving her thumbs up causing Layla to narrow her eyes at me suspiciously before turning on her heels and started walking.

I did the same but in opposite direction with a lots of thoughts in my mind.

Kyle was a drug addict, Layla had every right to be mad at him, however if she tried enough she could save him.

Rejection was a lifetime thing. Once it was done, you could not go back. Layla should have at least given him one chance to prove and asked all the questions she had in her mind directly to Kyle. Without hearing his side of story ,rejecting him was really cruel thing to do to someone who was already in a miserable state. Someone who was supposed to be her mate.

However, that was why exactly I was here. To bring people together by being a mediator. Their lack of communication was the main problem to all of this chaos.

I sighed.

How was I going to talk to Kyle?

But where was he now? He hadn't come to school since that day Layla found out they both were mates. Why he had not told the truth to her all these years? Would he give up his addiction for Layla?

Ugh, so many questions!

This was my first couple to convince. So far, I wasn't doing good. Shaking my head, I sped up my pace so I could go to my room and relax.

***