Chapter Eight

The weight of the hearthstone in my palm felt like the destiny of our entire realm. Standing before King Alexander, I hesitated, not out of reluctance but from the enormity of the moment. The hearthstone's radiance seemed to pulse with life, illuminating the king's study with a gentle glow.

"Father," I began, my voice steady despite the whirlwind of emotions within me. "I present to you the hearthstone, the key to our kingdom's safety."

King Alexander extended his hands, and as the artifact passed from my fingers to his, a surge of energy filled the room. His eyes met mine, piercing blue reflecting the resolve that matched the stone's brilliance. "Annalise," he addressed me by the name of my past life, acknowledging both my heritage and the warrior I was becoming. "Your courage honors us all."

"Protecting the realm is my duty, Father," I replied, feeling the duality of my existence blend into one purpose.

General Galahad stood beside me, his presence a tower of strength. "The hearthstone is in safe hands," he said, his voice firm with conviction. "Now, my king, I await your command."

"General," King Alexander began, casting a commanding gaze upon the soldier who had become my mentor and confidant. "You are to lead an expedition to the western border. There are mysteries there that threaten the delicate balance we've maintained. We must understand what King Jamison is plotting."

"Understood, Your Majesty," Galahad responded, the set of his jaw telling of his unwavering commitment. He turned to me, his stoic mask briefly slipping to reveal a hint of concern. "Princess, training will continue in my absence. Stay vigilant."

"Always," I assured him, though my heart clenched at the thought of facing our enemies without him.

Galahad's preparations for departure were meticulous. I watched him gather maps, supplies, and tokens from fellow soldiers – each item a silent testament to his dedication. His comrades clasped his arm, their farewells tinged with respect and the unspoken fear that some goodbyes might be final.

"Remember what I've taught you," Galahad told me as he shouldered his pack. "Trust in your abilities, Princess."

I nodded, swallowing the knot of apprehension in my throat. "Return safely, General."

With a final nod, Galahad strode from the hall, his figure symbolizing loyalty and the sacrifices yet to come. Alone with my thoughts, the hearthstone's light seemed to flicker in tandem with the uncertain fate ahead.

The weight of the hearthstone no longer pressed against my palms, but the burden it symbolized remained, a constant pressure that seemed to tighten with each step I took through the palace corridors. King Alexander had summoned me, and I could only imagine what further expectations awaited me. The doors to his private chambers opened, and I stepped inside, finding the king standing by the hearth, his blue eyes reflecting the fire's dancing flames.

"Ah, Annalise," he greeted, the warmth in his voice belying the gravity of his next words. "Please, sit."

I lowered myself into the chair opposite him, the antique wood creaking beneath me. Silence stretched between us before he finally spoke, his voice heavy with the weight of kingship.

"You have done admirably, presenting the hearthstone," King Alexander began, his gaze holding mine. "But our kingdoms need more than artifacts for protection—they require unity, strength found in bonds of blood and alliance. Your union with Prince Ethan is key to this."

My throat tightened at his words; the expectation was as clear as the crystal-clear waters of the Southern Lakes. "I understand the importance, father," I replied, forcing steadiness into my voice. "But alliances can be formed in many ways, not just through marriage."