Chapter Seventeen

The next day the chamber was cloaked in shadows, a secret haven where the muted whispers of my allies swirled like a gentle wind. Torches flickered against the stone walls, casting a dance of light and darkness across the determined faces gathered within. I could feel the anticipation hanging palpable in the air as King Alexander, Lady Cassandra, and our closest confidants leaned over a worn oak table, etched with the scars of past councils.

"Every move we've made has been anticipated as if the enemy is shadowing our very thoughts," I murmured, my fingers tracing the lines of the map spread before us, each path we had taken now seeming like a route to our downfall.

"Indeed," Lady Cassandra replied, her voice slicing through the tension. "However, we are not without our resources."

Her eyes....those deep wells of wisdom that had guided me since I first learned of my true heritage, locked onto mine. She reached into the folds of her gown, withdrawing a scroll that seemed to pulse with urgency. The very air in the room seemed to grow heavier, charged with the gravity of what this parchment might reveal.

"Contained within this letter is information that has eluded us until now," Lady Cassandra began, her voice carrying the weight of urgency as she addressed the king and I. "A truth that will cast light upon the shadows that have plagued our every step."

With practiced elegance, she handed the sealed letter to the king, its waxen seal bearing the crest of a falcon in flight. King Alexander's expression turned grave as he broke the seal and unfolded the parchment within.

"A truth long buried, now brought to light," Lady Cassandra continued, her hands trembling slightly as she watched the king read. "Listen closely, for what you are about to hear will shake the very foundation of our realm is what the messenger had said."

As King Alexander's eyes scanned the words on the page, his expression shifted from curiosity to disbelief, then to a steely resolve.

Lady Cassandra held her breath, her anticipation mounting as she awaited the revelation contained within the letter. She had been entrusted with its delivery, but the contents remained a mystery even to her.

"This... this changes everything," King Alexander murmured, his voice tinged with disbelief. "If what you say is true about darkness, then we are facing a threat unlike any we have encountered before."

"It says here that King Philip of the Eastern Kingdom has been orchestrating the chaos," King Alexander announced, his voice steady as he addressed those gathered in the room. "He seeks to exploit the instability for his gain."

My eyes widened in shock, her hand instinctively reaching for mine as the implications of the letter sunk in. King Philip's treachery threatened not only our realm but the delicate balance of power throughout the land.

"This changes everything," I declared, my voice filled with a steely resolve. "We cannot allow King Philip's ambitions to go unchecked. We must confront him and put an end to his

I stepped forward, my gaze unwavering as I addressed Lady Cassandra. "Do you have any evidence to corroborate these claims? Anything that could confirm King Philip's involvement beyond a shadow of a doubt?"

Lady Cassandra shook her head, her brow furrowing in concern. "I do not, Your Highness. The contents of the letter were not revealed to me before its delivery. I am but the messenger, bearing news that may shape the course of our realm."

A hushed murmur rippled through the room as the significance of her revelation sank in. Despite not knowing the letter's contents, Lady Cassandra understood the weight of the information it contained. It was a truth that could change everything.