●26

●・○・●・○・●

matt's mouth dropped, hardly being able to process what gabriella had just said. she was just looking at him angrily, waiting for his response, but what could he even say? 

''to who?'' he stuttered.

''does it matter?''

''of course it matters! who is she marrying, gabi?!''

''chase!''

''chase?'' he echoed. ''but...i thought they were best friends?''

''they are, matt.'' she replied. ''she's not marrying him because she loves him.''

''then why...''

he trailed off as he remembered. the entire reason he had pretended to be florence's boyfriend in the first place was so she didn't have to marry chase. her going home alone meant her mom was right. it meant she had to marry her best friend.

''shit.'' he muttered. ''but...i don't want her to marry chase.''

''why not?'' gabriella pressed. ''i thought you were just using her.''

he rolled his eyes. ''fine. i lied.''

''obviously. now tell me the real reason you broke up with flo.''

''she was getting bullied.'' he muttered. ''bullied for being my girlfriend.''

gabriella didn't reply, just waiting for him to elaborate.

''and she kinda made a deal without even meaning to.'' he continued. ''she said they could do whatever they wanted to her as long as they didn't talk about me and everybody agreed and then...i saw how depressed she was getting, gabi, and i know she said she was fine with it because she loves me but i wasn't.''

''matt-''

''i was defending her against everyone but nobody really gave a fuck about what i was saying and they were getting more and more horrible to her...i couldn't just sit around and do nothing.''

''so you broke up with her?''

''i did it help her. i knew the bullying would stop if i-'' he cut himself off, looking at the brunette girl. ''has it stopped?''

''yes, but-''

''exactly.'' matt mumbled. ''breaking up with her meant her life would go back to normal and people would start treating her like the queen she is again.''

gabriella hesitated. ''well...why didn't you just tell her that?''

''i knew she wouldn't let me end it with her.'' he sighed. ''she was adamant that she didn't care what happened as long as we were together but she didn't deserve to be bullied because of me.''

''but why haven't you been to school?'' she pressed. ''didn't you wanna make sure flo wasn't being bullied anymore?''

''flo's kinda scary.'' he admitted. ''i was scared she'd try to kill me or some shit.''

''you're such an idiot, matt.'' 

''well how was i supposed to know she was going to get married?!''

''you know better than anyone that her mom is a psycho!''

''i didn't expect her to go home!'' he protested. ''i told her she could stay here and then the next thing i knew she was fucking gone!''

''you thought she would stay with her ex-boyfriend who apparently used her for sex?'' 

matt paused. ''well, it sounds bad when you say it like that.''

''it doesn't just sound bad, matt, it is bad!'' she exclaimed. ''flo's getting married when she's clearly still in love with you!''