Chapter 9

"Erica, what brings you here? I smell bread."

It was Karon.

His sturdy, muscular build remained unchanged over the years, a testament to his proficiency as a mercenary wielding a greatsword.

"This bread isn't for me. Shurin mentioned she's been skipping meals lately due to the influx of injured mercenaries, so I brought it for her—"

"What? When did I say that? I have quite the appetite."

"..."

Erica narrowed her eyes, forcing a smile to grace her lips.

Taking the hint, Shurin turned her gaze to Karon.

"Karon, are you injured?"

"My left shoulder's bothering me. Could you take a look at it?"

"You haven't taken a tumble from a tall building like some others, have you? Come over here."

"Who fell from a tall building? Such foolishness shouldn't be tolerated in our guild. They should be expelled."

Karon approached and carefully placed his greatsword on the ground.

The sword was imposing, its weight audible with each thud as Karon entered the guild straight from completing his mission.

Taking a seat, he removed his top.

Beside him, Shurin positioned herself, lifting his arm and examining his shoulder.

"Does this hurt?"

Karon grimaced as he responded with a groan.

"Am I going to lose the use of my shoulder now? This is miserable."

"Bullshit, it's just a sprain."

"Phew."

"..."

Karon, a robust figure, possessed a stoicism that belied his appearance.

Meanwhile, Erica rested her chin on the table.

Tsk, tsk, she playfully clicked her tongue, attempting to tease him, but Karon was quick to respond.

"By the way, Erica."

He glanced at her as if recalling something.

"Have you checked the request board today?"

"Nope."

Erica stretched lazily, stifling a yawn at just the right moment.

"I've just returned from a major A-list assignment, so I'm taking the week off."

"Oh, I see."

Karon replied casually, rolling his stiff shoulders.

"A wyvern job just popped up for the Lugis region. Interested?"

".. .?"

Erica stared at him, her eyes widening.

"Lugis Wyverns?"

"Yes. It's a request to exterminate the Lugis Gorge Wyverns. Just came in."

"Awesome!"

"Isn't it?"

"I can't resist Lugis!"

Exterminating the Lugis Gorge Wyverns!

For those who haven't experienced it, they wouldn't understand the exhilaration and excitement it brings.

It's thrilling.

Erica could confidently declare it the most entertaining quest ever.

It's an S-level request that only comes around once a year, when the wyverns overwhelm the Knights of Lugis, prompting the lord to seek aid from the mercenary guild.