Chapter 3

Pechenik laughed heartily, unaware of Erica's growing frustration as her face flushed with anger and confusion.

"You, little maid, how did you know it was my birthday and come prepared with candles? How thoughtful of you!"

"... Ugh."

Erica bit her lip; her worn, tattered clothes and disheveled hair hardly resembled those of a daughter of the Count, making her easily mistaken for a maid.

But it was impolite to blow out someone else's birthday candles.

A grown man who couldn't recognize his own age.

"It's... my birthday."

"Huh?"

However, as Erica gazed at the extinguished candle, her temper flared, and she finally spoke up.

"It's my birthday."

She wanted to convey her anger, but she wasn't accustomed to expressing herself in such a manner.

Instead, she sighed, a sigh tinged with sadness.

"This is my wish... It's my once-a-year wish."

She could almost hear the tiny, black candle mocking her. 'Silly, it's not your birthday,' it seemed to whisper, causing her eyes to well up with tears as she rubbed them with the back of her hand.

Someone else had stolen her birthday wish, leaving her unable to fulfill it.

"That's... I apologize."

Pechenik muttered, scratching his beard.

Despite his drunkenness, his comprehension remained intact.

Perhaps today was the young maid's birthday.

"Instead of birthday candles, I'll grant you a wish. I have plenty of money, so I can buy you anything you desire."

Pechenik gestured towards the old teddy bear beside the girl.

"How about a stuffed bunny, much larger and cuter than that squishy, fluffy thing?"

Erica remained silent.

Interpreting her silence as consent, Pechenik continued,

"I'll have it delivered to the Count's house first thing in the morning. Which room do you work in, the kitchen or the laundry? I'll send it directly to the head maid, and you can retrieve it."

"..."

With the egg tart in her right hand and her teddy bear in her left arm, Erica spoke up.

"I don't need it. That's not what my wish was."

She rose from the fountain.

"Go make your own wish. You took mine away."

"No, no, no. I don't have any wishes."

"You're lying. Who in the world doesn't have a wish?"

"I used to."

Drunk, Pechenik told her a bunch of personal history that she didn't ask for.

"I've wished countless times to see my sweet little girl grow up and get married."

"..."

"One day, I tempered my wish, fearing I was being too greedy. I simply pleaded for my daughter to live another year."

"..."

"Do you have any idea how much I've paid for prayers at the temple? I could have funded two mansions like this with my offerings."