twenty two

"The drawbridge is down, people."

I watch Tony come back to me while the force field shuts down, revealing the Hydra base. 

I can hear the others talk through my earpiece. 

"The Enhanced?", Thor asks the Captain after defeating the last Hydra agent.

"He's a blur.", he sighs. "All the new players we've faced, I've never seen this. I still haven't."

I'm about to say something when Nat starts talking. 

"Clint's hit pretty bad, guys. We're gonna need evac."

Thor offers to take Clint to the jet as new Hydra soldiers seem to materialize out of thin air. Seriously, where the fuck did they even come from. 

"Go find the scepter", Thor says before taking Clint with him to get medical help.

"And for gosh sake, watch your language!", Tony says. 

Steve just sighs and I can't help it but laugh out loud. I can't decide if the Cap's concerns about swearwords are adorable or just straight-up annoying. 

Normally, I am definitely more of a strategic person when it comes to attacking but with Stark at my side, that's simply not possible. So I just follow him as he breaks the big glass window and enters the room full of agents. 

Those agents make one big mistake. They try to fight back. But all the bullets they fire just ricochet and they knock themselves out. Oh well. Normally I would feel bad, horrible actually, but those are the people who tortured me for their stupid experiments. 

We pass the room and I guide Tony deeper into the castle. I recall a lot of it, but only fragmentary. However, it is still enough to find the room with all the data saved on multiple servers. 

Tony steps out of his super suit and toward the computer, but not without looking at me and raising an eyebrow. 

"What did you expect from a facility specialized in human experiments?", I ask bluntly. 

"I don't think I have an answer for that."

I step up next to him and watch as Jarvis starts to copy the files.

"That's not it, am I right?"

I simply nod and walk over to the wall on our left. 

"Please be a secret door, please be a secret door.", Tony whispers. 

I chuckle and roll my eyes before I press my hands against the second brick from the left, 7th row. A passageway opens up. 

"Yayy." He sounds like a child who is excited about a Christmas present. 

I take a deep breath to brace myself for what lies ahead. I remember it all too well. 

Tony follows me as I step into the tunnel. A chill runs down my spine, despite the dim light filtering down from the ceiling lamps. The air feels heavy and musty, thick with the scent of damp earth. Each step echoes off the walls, reverberating through the darkness like a haunting melody.

Water drips steadily from the ceiling, creating a rhythmic pitter-patter that adds to the eerie atmosphere. The floor beneath us is slick with moisture, making each step a cautious dance to avoid slipping.

"We have a second Enhanced. Female.", I hear Steve say. The connection is pretty bad but good enough. 

"I-I.... following... safety...", the connection is unsteady. 

"No, no, no! Listen! Do not fire, I repeat do not fire. Leave the twins out of this. We're gonna come back to them. Please." 

"Repeat.... please... connection...." Is all I hear before the earpiece turns off completely.