Chapter 13 | The Wedding

Aili looked down at her pleated skirt. The tartan pattern she wore was not the one she was used to. She brushed her fingers against the MacDonald's clan plaid, embracing that she was almost a MacDonald.
Atleast she would be once the ceremony was complete. A maid behind her scurried around her, checking her flowered and intricately braided hair to make sure everything was in place. Aili's chest constricted as she inhaled a deep breath, her corset strung tightly- causing her supple breasts to almost spill over the top of her dress. It almost hurt to breathe.
When the doors to the grand hall opened she began the graceful decent down towards the hearth where her father and her now almost husband stood waiting for her arrival. Her eyes flittered nervously to the guests that lined her pathway to matrimony. She gulped as her heart began to putter inside of her constricted chest. She wrenched her eyes away from their wide eyes stares and cupped whispers, and lifted her gaze to her father. His face was ashen, but he appeared to be in good spirits, though his posture was more hunched than usual. He was smiling solemnly at her. But something burned into her. It was too hard to ignore. Ewan's eyes felt like heat on her skin, wherever they touched. She took a breath, conjuring her courage and finally met his stare. Aili thought she saw fire ablaze in his eyes as they latched onto hers. Her heart beat jolted in response.
She gasped instinctively. A few more steps was all she had to take. Those last few moments as a Macleod, as a maiden, as simple Aili. She would now belong to this man, a man she was not originally betrothed to be with. Ewan outstretched his calloused palm towards her, beckoning her to stand in front of him. She hesitated a second. Took a deep breath. Then placed her petite hand in his. His hand swallowed hers whole. It flooded her warmth. She smiled up at him nervously. Ewan gave her a coy grin in response. Then, he reached out for her other hand, intwining both their hands together as if in prayer. The priest began to speak, but Aili didn't hear the eloquent speech he gave about love and matrimony. She was too occupied looking into Ewan's eyes and the silent messages they seemed to be sending her. Her focus snapped back into the room when Ewan began speaking. His voice was sultry and serious as he pledged to protect her with his soul and body as long as he lived.
Aili's nervousness returned when the priest turned to her, indicating it was her turn to make her vows. Aili could have sworn her voice quivered as she promised, "I will love, obey, and honor you, as long as I live." As the priest blessed their union and before he could pronounce them man and wife, Ewan craned his neck down to consume Aili's lips. It was not a chaste kiss in the audience of her father and his family members and clan members, as she would have expected. It was primal, ravenous and something deeper. It was a promise of what was to come. When he pulled away the priest raised his hands in a congratulatory manner. Aili gasped for breath, her breasts bobbing out of the top of her dress. Ewan eyed those breasts with a hungry gaze that Aili pretended not to notice.
The crowd began to clap for them, signaling their departure. With hands still interlocked they exited the hall as man and wife.