Chapter four.

Don't ask,girl problems :(

(New story coming,soon.)

Prince Melus's POV.

Did I feel foolish when I saw him pass by my chambers with my little brother? Yes. Did I want to call out to him? Yes. But did I? No. My pride wouldn't allow it. Did the way he looked at me pierce my heart? Yes. Did I want him to find me in such a state? No. But I had made a mistake, and he saw it, didn't he? And now I'm here, with my father in the throne room, being berated to my wrong doings which I kept repeating over and over again.

It was a mystery who could have told my father about my mistake, as I had been so careful to keep it secret. The only other person who knew was the little servant boy, but I couldn't imagine he would have said anything. I felt like there was someone watching me, but I had no idea who it could be. I had never seen anyone following me, and I didn't know anyone in the palace who would have the motive to spy on me. I felt a chill run down my spine, a feeling of dread and unease. Who could it be?

"All I'm saying is, this is incredibly unhealthy," my father said, his voice raised and his anger apparent. "How many maids must I dismiss before you realize that your behavior is unacceptable? You cannot keep luring these women into your bed, no matter how tempting it may be."

His face was red with rage, and I feared he might collapse from the strain. But I also felt a spark of defiance. How dare he speak to me like this? He was my father, yes, but I was not a child. I was a grown man, with my own responsibilities and decisions to make.

"I do not have a wife and for some reason as you want me to wait till my coming of age, so while I do that , can at-least satisfy myself?" I asked. I wasn't angry, if anything I found this situation very funny. This was all his fault.

"Is that the excuse you're going to go with? Seriously?i sometimes think Evan is the older brother between the both of you, can't you be just as mature as he is? It wouldn't hurt you know." My father said scoffing as he relaxed in his throne.

And there it was, the comparison. My brother was the golden child, the one who could do no wrong. He was the perfect son, the one who never caused trouble. And I was the black sheep, the one who always seemed to be disappointing my parents. The one who always seemed to be compared unfavorably to my brother. It was a familiar feeling, and one that I was tired of. I didn't want to be the bad son, the one who could never live up to expectations. But it seemed like I was stuck in that role, and I didn't know how to get out of it.

It was one thing to be the black sheep, but it was another to hear my father say that he wished I was more like my brother. To hear him say that he wished he could break the law to make my brother the king. It was like a knife to the heart, and it cut me deeper than anything else. It was almost as if he didn't love me, as if I was just a disappointment to him. I knew that wasn't true, but it was hard not to feel that way sometimes. And hearing him say it out loud was almost too much to bear.

My father's love was a fickle thing, a rollercoaster of emotions. One day he would be proud of me, and the next he would be disappointed. It was hard to keep up with his ever-changing moods, and I often felt like I was walking on eggshells around him. One wrong move and I would be in trouble. He seemed to forgive my brother for his mistakes, but I was never given the same leeway. It made me feel like I could never please him, no matter how hard I tried. It was an exhausting and demoralizing cycle.

I looked my father in the eye, and spoke from the heart. "I know I disappoint you sometimes, but I wish you wouldn't compare me to Evan. We're different people, and I'm trying my best. It's hard when you constantly remind me that I'm not as good as him. I know I make mistakes, but I'm still your son. I just want you to be proud of me, even if I'm not perfect."