XII. Strength Making Me Stronger

( ACT I. ── The Becoming )
chapter twelve / Strength Making Me Stronger

✷        ·
  ˚ * .
     *   * ⋆   .
·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
  ⋆ ·   *
     ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ✵
  · ✵

Annika wore a mask when she went out in public. If there was one good thing the pandemic had done for her, it was give her the most convenient tool to disguise herself when she didn't want to be seen. Running shoes, jeans, an inconspicuous hoodie, and an NHL cap were plenty enough to keep suspicious eyes away from her, but there were some people, the ones she loved the very most, who would know her anyway, no matter the disguise, always, every time.

There was little time for her to linger outside of the airport terminal before the flood of travelers became a steady stream, and then diminished to a trickle, and then suddenly she felt ten years old again and held her hand up to her father across the flourescent-lit terminal.

They met in the middle of the room and he pulled her into a much-needed embrace. "Hei, Isä," she said quietly.

"Minä ikävöin sinua." [I missed you]. Kimi pulled her hat off and kissed the top of her head. The hug lasted long, they always did, because he never let go until she did. "Are you okay?"

"Kyllä. I just missed you."

"You need to visit more."

"I know." It took everything in Annika not to burst into tears.

Another quiet few seconds passed before he tapped her on the back and quietly said, "Someone is taking pictures I think."

Annika sighed and pulled away at last, fixing her cap back down low over her eyes. "Okay," she said heavily, "let's go. I'm good now."

They walked through the airport and out to her car together, and once the doors closed there was a blessed peace and a feeling of solitude that had not existed in the airport. The drive was spent in a comfortable silence, as small talk was unnecessary and had never agreed with either of them anyway. Monaco was flooded with activity, tourism and sightseeing in preparation for the Grand Prix, and Annika struggled a bit on the high-traffic roads. At last, they came to her apartment and the journey was over.

When Annika opened the door, Kerttu was immediately at the door, jumping up and wagging her tail, circling Annika's legs, sniffing Kimi's shoes and suitcase and hands.

"Hello, my baby," Annika coddled, crouching down to kiss Kerttu on the ear and earning herself a lick on the face.

Kimi went to leave his suitcase in the spare room, and Annika was already busy, livelier than she had felt in a long time, a burst of energy spreading through her. "Are you hungry?" she asked, opening the fridge.