Chapter 2

"Good morning Zahra!"

"Morning, Emma" I greet, plopping myself down at my desk. Emma gives me a once-over. "You look exhausted."

I rub my temples with my fingertips and give a tired nod. "Yeah, I was out late with Liam."

Emma just nods and turns her attention back to her computer screen. I squint at my own screen, trying to focus, but my vision keeps blurring. "Ugh, I'm so sleepy," I groan.

"Seriously, just look at him! I swear, he's getting handsome by the day!" Emma's voice interrupts me. I follow her gaze and my eyes land on the man walking towards us. It's none other than Adam Obeid, the CEO of this company. In short, my boss.

He's dressed in a finely tailored black suit, his hair perfectly styled with not a strand out of place. One hand rests casually in his pants pocket as he strides toward his office, not even sparing a glance at his surroundings.

"He may be good looking, but he's got nothing on Liam," I retort to Emma, rolling my eyes before refocusing on my computer screen.

"Zahra Aziz! You're so obsessed with your boyfriend," Emma teases. "And also you're so lucky, you get to see our boss's handsome face more often than the rest of us."

"He's my brother's best friend, not mine. Why would I see him?" I reply, not bothered by the topic.

Emma gives me a side-eye. "Come on, you and your brother practically live under the same roof. It's only natural for you to run into him whenever he visits your brother."

"He doesn't usually come to our house. If they're meeting up, my brother goes to his place," I reply, clearly not invested in the conversation.

I glance up, hoping to catch another glimpse of Adam, but he's already disappeared into his office. I refocus on my work, fully aware that Emma is probably still shamelessly staring at his cabin door.

✦ .  ⁺   ♡  ⁺   . ✦ 

I step out of the company. Most of my colleagues have already left. I had been swamped with work, causing me to stay behind. As I continue walking, a familiar Range Rover pulls up in front of me. The window glides down, revealing the person I was expecting. "Get in," Adam says with his usual cold tone. I had seen him leave about an hour ago, but he was still here to fulfil his so-called babysitting duty.

"I have some things to take care of. I won't go back now," I assert, attempting to walk away. But his voice stops me in my tracks once again. "Your brother wants you home now. I have no interest in dropping you off, but I'm doing it for your brother. So get in."

I let out an exasperated sigh. "What's your problem? Why do you always appear out of nowhere and start this babysitting duty? I can manage going home on my own. I don't need you."