Chapter 5

"You are getting married

"You are getting married."

My heart comes to a halt and everything around me just blurs. Did I hear right? I can't quite put into words the exact emotions swirling within me, whether they're positive or negative. But one thing's for sure-I'm ready to accept whatever choice my dad makes for me.

"I'm going to ask you just a question," my dad continues, and I give him a silent nod.

"Are you willing to marry Adam?" he asks, leaving me utterly speechless. The shock I experience now surpasses anything I felt a mere second ago. Adam? My brother's best friend? The man I encounter every day at work?

"I've already discussed it with him. Now I need your response," he adds, leaving me feeling voiceless, devoid of any decision-making ability. At the same time, I realize that I can no longer have the same situation I once had, where I could reject my dad's choices. No, I no longer have the guts to make decisions of my own. And now, all I want is to accept whatever my family decides for me.

I finally look up at my father and then at my brother, who is sitting next to him. My dad is just staring at me, his face devoid of any expression, while my brother keeps shifting his gaze from me to his intertwined hands.

A sudden guilt engulfs me. My family was never like this before. It feels like I've stolen every bit of happiness from this house. Because of me, everyone has lost their peace. What have I done? They kept telling me, they kept warning me, but I never listened to them. The weight of my guilt rends my heart into countless pieces once again.

I cast my gaze downward, unable to contain the tears that cascade down my trembling hands. "Yes. I'm willing to marry him. I'm ready to marry whoever you choose for me."

"I'm happy to hear that you've made a wise decision," my dad says, getting up from his seat. I look up at him once more, catching a glimpse of relief in his expression, but he doesn't smile.

I return to my room and collapse onto my bed. Just then, a faint sound catches my attention, piercing through the silence. I get up from my bed, tracing the source of the sound until I discover my phone, lying in a corner of the room.

It's ringing.

I pick it up, and notice Adam's name on the screen.

I settle back onto my bed, cradling the phone in my hand, and answer the call.

"Hello"

I hear his voice, and it suddenly makes it harder for me to respond, but somehow I manage to reply with a simple "Hi."

There's a moment of silence between us, and we just stay like this, neither of us knowing how to start the conversation. It's definitely awkward because our situation has completely changed. He went from being my brother's best friend to now being my fiancé.

Finally, he breaks the silence. "I just received your dad's call," he says. "Are you sure you agree to this marriage? You're not being forced, are you?" His question lingers in the air, waiting for my response.