Chapter 3

I've been trying to reach Liam since morning,yet my calls go unanswered and my texts remain seen

I've been trying to reach Liam since morning,yet my calls go unanswered and my texts remain seen. The silence from his end only intensifies my restlessness, leaving me in a state of unease.

'Liam, please, just reply to me,' I text him but like before they are marked as read without a single word in response.

"Zahra"

"Hmm?" I raise my gaze, only to find Adam's secretary's eyes fixated on me, clutching a bundle of files in his hands. "Can you help me please?" he implores, his voice tinged with hesitation.

"What kind of help do you need?" I ask, feeling completely puzzled.

He hesitates, his hand lightly grazing his back, clearly grappling with the weight of his request. Patiently, I wait for him until finally, he musters the courage to voice his words. "Could you please take these documents to the boss's cabin and get his signature?"

I frown as I respond, "Surely, such a duty falls within the realm of your responsibilities, not mine." "I understand... uh... I have to attend to an urgent matter. Please," he requests, smiling awkwardly.

I scratch my eyebrow lightly with the tip of my finger, letting out a sigh. "You really need to be more serious about your work, or else someone else might snatch your place,"

"Sure! Thank you for helping me" he says as he places the files in my hand and hurries out of there, leaving me dumbfounded.

"When did I even agree to help him? Ughhh!! Seriously! The more I try to stay away from him, the more I have to see him," I mutter, venting my frustration.

I gather my composure and walk towards Adam's cabin. Standing outside for a few seconds, I take a deep breath to calm myself before knocking on the door. As he gives me permission to enter, I put on a polite expression and step inside. "These documents require your signature," I say, placing them in front of him. I can sense his eyes on me, even though I haven't looked at him yet.

He doesn't ask me anything as he pulls the documents towards him and signs them. I stand there, waiting for him to finish, yet, my eyes can't help but dart to my phone, a desperate hope that a text from Liam might illuminate the screen.

Since last night, we haven't had any conversation with each other. And I know exactly why - because I ghosted his call and shut off my phone. He's definitely mad at me for that.

"Here's someone more interesting to get your attention instead of that phone, Miss Zahra,"

Suddenly, a voice cuts through the air, jolting me from my thoughts. It's Adam, his face etched with more than just a hint of irritation. He's been on edge all morning, and now it looks like he's about to blow. I can already tell he's gonna take it out on me.

That's when something clicks in my mind. This is why his secretary handed me the documents - because he simply didn't want to be in the same place as me right now. That cunning man! He tricked me, ugh!