Chapter 3

In which Marilyn socializes far too much for her liking.

Alex strolled down the hall of the institute, leading Marilyn towards Charles Xavier's office. He looked over his shoulder and was surprised to find she wasn't following him, but standing with her arms wrapped around her as she looked around. Alex let out a small sigh and walked back over to her. "You okay?" He asked, shifting her duffel bag he was carrying on his shoulder.

"This place is insane," Marilyn whispered. Despite the fact that she was almost as tall as him, Marilyn seemed very small in the moment. Alex felt a twinge of compassion as he remembered what it was like when he'd first joined the X-Men. It had been a similar situation, he'd just gotten out of jail and after a few (very busy and a bit traumatic) days, had gone to the mansion for the first time. It had blown him away as well. Admittedly, he wasn't as intimidated as Marilyn, but that was because he went there with friends, people he knew. She didn't know anyone here.

"Yeah, it's a lot to take in," Alex agreed, "I could give you a tour after talking with the professor; show you all the places you'll need to know."

"I'd like that," Marilyn said, showing the slightest hint of a smile. Alex grinned back, glad to have started forming a connection with her.

The two began walking as they talked. "So, you're eighteen now?" Alex asked her.

Marilyn nodded. "Yup. How old are you?"

"Forty-three," he told her, noticing her eyes widen as if she was shocked. He didn't comment on it. Scott loved taunting him about how he was so old, so no doubt his age could seem ancient to a teenager. He glanced at Marilyn again. She still seemed surprised, but she wasn't looking at Alex anymore. He turned his head to where she was staring and saw a familiar blue face.

"Oh, that's Kurt," Alex said casually, "His mutation is more... visible than most. He's around your age, so I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of each other around here."

Kurt had noticed Alex and Marilyn looking at him and them gave a friendly wave. Marilyn waved back shyly. "He seems nice," she remarked.

"He is," Alex agreed. The two continued walking, Alex leading the way and Marilyn followed, her head swiveling as she tried to take in all of her surroundings. Soon they made it to the professors office. Alex set Marilyn's duffel on the floor and cracked open the door, poking his head through. "Hey, Charles, can we come in?" He asked.

Charles Xavier looked up from the desk where he was working. "Of course," he responded, setting down his pen. Alex headed in, Marilyn trailing behind. The first thing she noticed about Professor Xavier was his piercing blue eyes that seemed to peer into her very soul. She found her stomach churning anxiously and instinctively moved closer to Alex.

"Why, hello there Marilyn," the professor said warmly, "My name is Charles Xavier. It's wonderful to finally meet you." He deftly maneuvered his seat around his desk in a quick, smooth motion, which confused Marilyn until the wheels attached to the chair came into view.

Ah, that makes much more sense then a random chair just gliding across the floor, she thought to herself.

"I suppose that is more logical," Professor Xavier agreed. 

Marilyn turned to him, shocked. "Did I say that out loud? Am I going insane?" She heard Alex chuckle.

The professor shook his head, a smile on his lips. "No, my dear, you are most certainly not. You see, I am a telepath, so I can read your thoughts with my mind." He tapped the side of his head for emphasis.

"Can you hear everything I think..?" Marilyn asked him warily.

"No, I tune out most thoughts automatically. I can assure you, my dear, it is not often that I feel the need to listen in on people." Marilyn nodded, hoping he was telling the truth. If someone heard some of the things she thought, she'd be admitted to a psych ward, or at least forced back into therapy. That hadn't gone well the first time, and Marilyn had no desire to give it another go.