Chapter 4

In which everyone is very dramatic.

Marilyn woke to a knock on her door. She groaned, stretching out her limbs from where they had been curled up on the floor. Did I really fall asleep? she wondered. The knocking continued, so Marilyn sat up and opened her eyes... and promptly began to scream.

"What's going on?" Whoever had knocked on her door opened it up and poked his head in, freezing when he saw what she was shrieking about. All of the furniture in her room was floating. Panicked, Marilyn scrambled to her feet and tried to shut the stranger out of her room. He was much stronger than her, however, so he slipped in anyway.

"Woah, dude, this is cool," he said, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he looked around. Marilyn studied the suspiciously calm man. He was lanky and a bit taller than her, but the most noticeable thing about him was his silver hair that she couldn't tell if it was dyed or not. He was wearing a band tshirt (what band it was, she had no clue), jeans, and the tackiest silver jacket she'd ever seen.

"I'm Peter, by the way," he said, admiring the spot where Marilyn's bed was pressing against the ceiling. Marilyn did not respond. After a minute of silence, he turned to her. "Do you know how to get it down?"

"Nope," she said, wrapping her arms around herself and shivering, "It's always happened on its own."

"Well, if we don't figure this out, at least you get a cool view while you sleep," Peter told her with a smirk. 

Marilyn laughed quietly. "I guess so."

At that moment, everything came back crashing down. Marilyn shrieked and felt Peter grab her, and somehow they were back in the hallway. She turned to him, eyes wide, and gasped. "What did you do?!"

"I'm fast," he told her, letting go of her arm, "It's my mutation. Pretty awesome, right?"

Marilyn nodded, unsure of what else to say. The two peeked back into her room and saw that the bed and desk were definitely broken. Marilyn wasn't sure if the dresser was fine, but it had somehow made a hole in the wall.

"What happened?" Marilyn and Peter turned around, the former frantically pulling the door shut to hide the destruction. The two faced a young woman with long, red hair in a braid down her back, and an amused look in her green eyes.

"Nothing," Marilyn lied, her face heating up. She could not afford to get in trouble.

"Sure, sounds like it was nothing," the redhead said sarcastically, although there was a friendly tone to her words. She raised one eyebrow. "Peter?"

"Don't look at me, Jean, I didn't do it!" He said, raising his arms in mock surrender.

Jean chuckled. "It's alright, Marilyn. You won't get in trouble. Are you okay?"

"How did you know my name?" Marilyn asked her in surprise.

"You were on TV last night," Peter cheerfully informed her.

"I WAS?!" Marilyn screamed, horrified at the thought of her crimes being broadcasted on the news.

"It's okay, you're mugshot looked great!" Peter assured her with a pat on the back. Marilyn slapped his hand away, scowling.

"Peter, shut up," Jean scolded. He stuck his tongue out at her and zipped off, gone in an instant. Jean turned to Marilyn. "But really, are you okay?"

"Physically, yes. Mentally, no," Marilyn informed her.

"Ah." Jean looked deep in thought for a moment, then smiled. "Are you hungry? We ordered pizza, it'll be here soon. We can worry about your room afterward."