CRAWLIN' BACK TO YOU

summary: their love is toxic, but they keep coming back even when they know they shouldn't.

SHE SHOULDN'T BE DOING THIS. she knew she shouldn't, but she felt she had to, as if an invisible string tied them together. a string that should've burned like their relationship had.

but there was something so addicting to the idea of being with him, even if all her friends had told her not to. he was a drug she couldn't quit, and neither could he.

their dream should've died when she first packed her bags and flew halfway cross the world, but without her dose of him, she'd come crawling back to him.

every time she told him it was for the last time, they both knew it was a lie. one way or another, they'd show up on each other's doorstep weeks after their last 'last' hookup.

they knew they were toxic together, chemicals that hadn't meant to be mixed, yet they came back every time, always exploding into chemical fire.

they'd created a drug out of their relationship, bliss and then heartbreak. it seemed the only things they did best together was arguing and sex. what went wrong with them?

could it have been the day-to-day fights, screaming matches that'd result in numerous noise complaints? could it have been the jealousy and possessiveness whenever she so much as walked by another guy? she wouldn't know, and neither would he.

now it was like a cycle, reappearing in each other's lives when they knew it was for the best that they shouldn't see each other. but she needed her dose of him, no matter how many times the people in her life pleaded with her to quit, she wouldn't - couldn't - because it wasn't that easy. they wouldn't understand.

she couldn't give up the way he made her feel. she wanted to feel his lips against her skin, something he deprived her of when the relationship died because it was 'too intimate.' he didn't want to mix feelings into their supposed-to-be meaningless hookups. they didn't need another burn to whatever they were.

yet they kept coming back, and they would keep coming back. no one knew and they wouldn't have to. it was a toxic secret that'd never leave their lips, one that would stay in the bedroom. but how many secrets could they keep?

she sighed, a cloud of her warm breath visible in the winter air. it'd gotten much colder since she last saw him. she tried to stay away as long as she could, swearing that the last time was truly the last time she'd see him. she lasted longer than she would've thought, longer than what he'd expected too.

she half expected him to find her instead, middle of the night pounding on the door to let him in, be gone before morning. usually, he wasn't this patient.

her cold fist hovered over the dark green of his front door, her knuckles a light red. she still had time to turn back, to keep the promise she had swore she wouldn't break when she last left down the very steps she now stood on.

she had the choice, turn her back on him forever and give up on whatever they had together, or knock on the door and accept that this would keep happening for as long as she let it, and what she let happen was already too much.

she knocked three times, too light to be heard, but it gave her a chance to back down, to change her mind. she chose to knock again, much louder though it hurt her hand. she heard the latch unlock not long after, a sound she grew familiar with.

"was wonderin' how long it'd take you to come crawlin' back," he spoke to her, an amused tone laced into his words as he leaned against the doorframe with his arm stretched to hold the door open.

"you act like you're any better," she retaliated and he shrugged, a smirk growing on his face as he just watched, not letting her in. "are you goin' to let me in or what?"