FLOWERS FOR THE 'TOTALLY-A-COUPLE' FRIENDS

summary: when two friends visit the market and, upon seeing free flowers being given out to couples, they decide to pretend to date for the sake of free flowers. when they end up liking the idea of pretending to be together, they end up wondering why they need to pretend to begin with

SOMETIMES IT'S NORMAL FOR FRIENDS TO PRETEND. pretend they're fighting, pretend while playing games, pretend they're racing against traffic, pretend they don't really like each other more than friends.

they pretend they're dating for the sake of free flowers from a random guy in a market that they visited as friends because they are friends. they are friends. it's totally normal, totally completely normal for friends to do such things.

it was as simple as that.

at least it was before it all happened because now they didn't know if they were just pretending anymore or if they had dropped the act hours ago. was it all really that simple now?

it was a clear day in oscar's hometown and what better way to spend such a beautiful day off than in the company of his good, even best, friend at a market down the street from where he grew up. considering she hadn't grown up in the area he had, he wanted to show her around all the classic spots that he used to frequent with his mum as a little kid.

well, now he felt like his mum when she used to drag him to all the corner stores or street markets in the blazing sun and smudge sunscreen on his face, except now it's with her. his best friend, and only his friend and nothing more because his mother was convinced he was smitten. he always denied it.

but everyone could see the way he looked at her whenever he smiled, how she would be the first person he looked to when he laughed at a joke someone else made.

everyone knew except for them, it was painfully obvious that they both felt more for each other than they allowed, and they were painfully oblivious.

the walk on grass, through the bustling market, was relaxing with hands to their sides and their shoulders constantly touching. every so often, they'd look away with red faces and awkward smiles as their hands just barely grazed each other's skin, but they never closed that gap. it had been happening for months and their friends were clawing at their eyes just waiting for it to happen.

but they weren't here to push them together, just the two friends walking past different stalls of clothes, antiques, accessories, and other various items.

a light breeze blew her hair into her face, causing the constant sputtering of lips as strands stuck to her lip gloss.

of course, in true friend fashion, he laughed every time at her struggles with taming her hair, telling her without fail, "you should really put your hair up, it'll only keep getting in your face."

she scoffed at him as he pulled strands from her face and futilely attempted to tuck them behind her ears as they blew back into her face.

"i don't think i even have a hair tie," she whined as she pulled her hair back but couldn't tie it up.

"oh, wait, i do," he remembered the band on his wrist, years of being friends meant carrying hair ties around for the girl because she wouldn't.

she gasped softly, taking it from his hand that held it flat on his palm, muttering "oh my god, osc, i love you so much, thank you," she rambled under her breath, "not going to question why you even have it."

a smile graced his face, completely tuning out her last words at the nickname she had called him. it made his heart flutter every time.

the words 'i love you' had been said constantly throughout their friendship that it was second nature at this point. to them, it was just a simple sentence they threw around, though the saying became more and more frequent in the past few months.