Chapter 4: Summer Festival

The next day, Leiyu walked around by himself in the palace. He strolled down the long outdoor corridor, passing through many gardens, which were resplendent with variegated flowers, manicured shrubs, and flowing fountains.

Prince Thallios said to meet in the main courtyard in the afternoon. He had not seen the prince since they parted after breakfast. Prince Thallios had said he was going to be busy preparing for the first day of the Summer Festival. Leiyu did not mind, as he had not explored the palace on his own that much since he arrived two days ago.

The palace was like a labyrinth and Leiyu was not sure whether he would be able to see everything before the caravan was scheduled to leave. He wondered whether the prince had already explored every nook and cranny. Further up ahead in the corridor, he saw a throng of people.

This must be the main courtyard, he thought. Prince Thallios had mentioned that there would be a performance. He walked towards the crowd.

"Leiyu!" someone called. It was one of the merchants from the caravan. He was standing near the courtyard entrance with the rest of the crowd.

"Hey!" Leiyu called back.

"Haven't seen you in a while," said the merchant.

"Mm, I've been exploring."

"Tell me about it! This palace is huge! And there's also the city. Have you seen it yet?"

"Not yet."

"Well, if you haven't been yet, you should definitely go today. It's the first day of the Summer Festival, so it will be extra spectacular!"

***

In the middle of the main courtyard was a stage with a curtain held up by two columns in the back. Silk sashes fluttered from the top of these columns. Three musicians were seated beside the stage on an intricately patterned rug.

Leiyu and the merchant stood amongst the crowd that was gathered before the stage. The people in the crowd spoke amongst themselves, some in languages that Leiyu could not understand. They patiently awaited the start of the performance.

The musicians began to play. One of them tapped rhythmically on the doira drum, while the one in the center strummed the dutar, and the third one played the oboe-like surnay. The curtain pulled back and three female dancers glided out.

"I've heard that the palace dancers are exquisite!" the merchant said to Leiyu.

The dancers wore ornate doppi with circular gold pieces that jangled as they moved. They had long swaying dark braids, gracefully swaying arms, and colorful embroidered dresses that twirled as they spun.

The curtain opened again and a male dancer came out carrying a long silk banner. He ran around the female dancers until they were obscured from the audience. When he circled back to curtain, the silk banner pulled away, revealing a lone dancer at the stage's center.

Leiyu strained his eyes to get a better view. The dancer had the left arm raised up high, hand held in a graceful pose. The hair was done up in a half bun with silk ribbons flowing from a hair ornament. Around the shoulders were thin gold cords with dangling gold pieces. Long silk tassels flowed from the dancer's slender waist. The dancer's raised hand moved slightly and tiny silver bells on the three bracelets jingled musically.

Leiyu's eyes went wide.

The dancer smiled, lips tinted with faint rouge and amber eyes accentuated with black kohl liner. Thin gold chains decorated the familiar auburn hair.

It was Prince Thallios.

Leiyu was speechless.

"Oh, it's the Summer Welcoming Dance," the merchant explained, "It's only done by a member of the royal family. Back when the queen was still alive, she did this dance. Many tales were told of her beauty and gracefulness."