Chapter 24: Fire and Earth

Content Warning: Some cursing, descriptions of physical violence, and brief mention of blood

"The little prince...or Thallios, I should say, since he is a person...I think I know why you want to protect him so much..."

"Why?"

"Because...he is so beautiful...and why wouldn't you want to protect someone so precious?"

Leiyu felt the blood drain from his face. Cold sweat broke out all over as a chill ran down his spine. He gritted his teeth as he faced Astatine. "You-!"

"What?" Astatine sneered. "Are you going to deny it?"

"..."

"Then there is some truth to it..."

"..."

"I mean, it wasn't hard to tell, from the way you two interacted..."

Leiyu's jaw dropped. "What the hell?! Have you been spying on us this whole time?"

Astatine laughed. "Relax, I wasn't watching you day and night. Only when my raven caught up with you."

Thallios first noticed that bird when we were in the Northern steppes, Leiyu thought. "So...you can see what the raven sees?"

"Obviously."

Leiyu shot him an annoyed glare. "But how?"

Astatine smiled. "Magic."

Leiyu sighed.

"You have a lady too, up in the North?"

"What?" Leiyu suddenly realized who he was referring to. Sarangerel! "Don't you dare go anywhere near her!"

Astatine clicked his tongue. "My goodness, always thinking the worst of me," he sighed as he casually spun one of his daggers in his hand. "I have no intention of going near the Goddess of Wind. She'd easily defeat me since I'm just a low-level mage."

Leiyu looked at him in disbelief. "Why were you following us for so long without showing yourself?"

"Well, the chase is no fun if it's too short..."

"..."

"Also, the little prince may be weak, but the Fire Goddess is a force to be reckoned with. Didn't want to get burned so quickly."

"Why did the Earth Priestess send you instead of coming herself?"

"Priestesses are not supposed to interfere with the affairs of the world."

"But they can send others to do their bidding?"

Astatine smiled.

"How about cursing Thallios' mother? Is that not interfering?"

"That's between two goddess avatars. It doesn't count as interfering with the wider world."

"..." Leiyu gave an exasperated sigh. "Who makes up these rules?"

Astatine shrugged.

"And what are you getting out of this?"

Astatine stared at him. "My lady saved my life, so I owe her my loyalty."

"Heh, is that all it is? Merely transactional? Or is there something else?"

Astatine frowned.

"You lost your family at such a young age and the Earth Priestess rescued and raised you."

"What are you getting at?"

"Do you see her as a substitute for your mother?"

Astatine's eyes widened with rage. "You shut up!"