Chapter Nine.

Layle walked back home for the first time in two weeks. She was probably going to get in trouble for staying out so late, but her thoughts were jumbled. Sliding her fingers into the pocket, they brushed off smooth glass, and even though the forest was getting darker with every minute, she lifted it out to examine it. She had been right- there was a pink liquid sloshing around inside a heart shaped vial. Layle had heard of 'love potions' but had never heard anything positive or even about them remotely working. Scoffing, she was about to throw it on the bed of moss under her feet when she heard a twig snap behind her. 

Dropping the vial into her pocket, Layle spins around and exhales deeply. "Sath. You scared me." Her brother breaks into a grin and walks over to her, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. "I could say the same about you, Le. I practically got whiplash when I saw you. I can tell you've been washing more now you're in the Castle- your hair is practically glowing. Actually, on the topic of the Castle, how come you aren't there?" Layle feels herself mirroring Sath's smile. She hasn't realised how much she's actually missed him and how he doesn't wait for her to answer his previous questions before asking more. She wraps an arm around him and ruffles his coarse hair. "I got something for her."

Flyfn dribbles half of the bottle into Eve's pale lips and sits back on his heels, rocking gently. When he looks up at Layle, a wave of relief passes over his face. "We can't thank you enough. Eve took a turn for the worst over the last few days." Declon sits in the same wooden chair he had the last time Layle had been here, and if she didn't know better, she could have thought that he hadn't moved in the last fortnight. "It's good to have you back." He says finally, staring at his pitcher of ale. "It's been rough for all of us, the last few weeks." Layle smiles sadly, and gazes at her family, taking in all their similarities and differences. "I can't stay long, I'm afraid. I need to meet someone." Sath cocks his head to the side and smirks. "Who could be more important than your own family, dear sister?" Now it's Layle's time to smirk. "Oh. Just Crown Prince Caspian Osanos." Robart nearly drops his bowl of pottage. "You're... having a moonlight tryst with the Crown Prince?" Layle feels her face heat up. "No! No. We're...Rendezvousing." She refuses to make eye contact her father, who's probably looking very displeased. Flyfn folds his arms and stares at Layle. "What does the Crown Prince of Lockbroalm want with my little sister?" Layle is beginning to regret saying this at all, especially since Sath is making exaggerated kissing noises.  "Just to talk. It's a long story." Flyfn pushes a wooden stool over to Layle with his foot for her to sit on. "I've got all night." Layle pushes it back over to him. "Well, I don't. And even though the story is riveting and involves me taking down ten Royal Guards at once, I'm afraid it'll wait until another time." She looks at her family fondly- Eve breathing in small, shallow breaths as she sleeps, Declon with barm around his mouth, Sath rolling around on the dusty floor with his arms wrapped around his torso, still pretending to be kissing someone, Flyfn looking at him, distaste and amusement battling for dominance on his dark, handsome features, and Robart, looking up at her from where Eve lies with the same affectionate expression.  

It's a memory she won't forget for a long time.