Chapter Eleven.

Caspian slumps to the ground, despite Layle's best efforts to keep him up. The vial clatters out of his hand and falls onto the ground and Layle distantly hears it shatter. Caspian's breath is rapid and his pupils are so dilated his eyes are practically onyx. Layle rests her hands on his shoulders. She checks his pulse and tries to calm him down. "Caspian? Caspian are you okay? You shouldn't have drank that, I don't know what was in it-" "Layle." He whispers and she falls silent. "Yes?" He holds up a shaking hand and slowly traces Layle's lips with his thumb. "I need to tell you something." Layle swallows. "What is it, Caspian?" His eyes go in and out of focus for a second before he licks his lips and speaks again. 

"I love you."

Layle can hardly hear him over the sound of her frantic heart beating in her ears. "It...Worked?" She breathes and he shakes his head. "No, no. No, Layle I've-" His voice cracks and he clears his throat before continuing "I've loved you ever since I saw you. I've loved you before we even met, I could feel your presence every night and it haunts me-" His eyes search her face as if it's the last sight he will see before he dies and smiles. "But it's okay now. You're here." Layle can feel herself backing away and Caspian's face crumples and he holds onto the windowsill to help him up before taking some unsteady steps towards her. "I love you Layle. You! I thought you would have the same feelings for me, why don't you have the same feelings for me?" He asks, the words tumbling out of his mouth. Layle takes another step backwards and hits the wall. Is this how animals feel, when they realise they are after walking into a trap? She thinks. So utterly defenceless and hopeless, knowing this is their end? Caspian must see the panic on her face because he stops, but his voice takes on a pleading tone. "Layle, please! I'll give you anything you want! Protection, money, dresses, jewels, the best food in The World! I'll do anything for you. I...I can't think straight, I just- Can I kiss you Layle?" Layle shakes her head frantically, and Caspian leaves out a wounded sound. But her thoughts are spinning, and his words race through her mind. "Wait." Caspian's eyes widen and he leaves out a shaky exhale. "Anything Layle. Anything for you." Layle examines him, his flushed face and pleading eyes, and nods slowly. "There is something that I need, Caspian." 

Layle sinks into the soft mattress stuffed with feathers and stares up at the lattice of wooden beams stretched across the high ceiling, adorned with intricately carved patterns and motifs. She had requested a guest bedroom, but wasn't expecting how beautiful even those rooms are. A tapestry covers three of the walls, depicting Caspian's family fighting for the throne centuries ago. In the middle of the room is the canopy bed Layle is now lying on, its towering posts draped with curtains of velvet, dyed in hues of deep burgundy and royal blue. Directly across from it is a  large stone fireplace. Layle gazes into it as it crackles with warmth, its flames casting a soft, flickering light that danced upon the chamber's walls. By tomorrow, a medic will be racing across the green pastures on a horse to Layle's house,  and by the order of the Crown Prince of Lockbroalm, will heal Eve. Layle slides off the mattress and treads over to the corner of the room, to the pitcher of water and shining basin. She takes off her dress and undergarments and submerges her entire body into the water, so hot it feels cold against her bare skin. Her silver hair floats around her face like a halo as she water blocks out all the sound of the Castle, and leaves her to her own thoughts. She doesn't know when the love potion will wear off Caspian, and how much trouble she will get in for unintentionally enchanting him, but for now...For now she does everything in her power to help her family while she has the opportunity.