Chapter 2

My assistant chef will be here soon enough, then we can begin."

With a light smile on my face, I leaned back against the chair, feeling excited for the coming hours. Jackie sat opposite me, pouring me a cup of tea before turning his attention towards me. "Now tell me why you decided to apply for this job," he started , leaning back in his seat and resting his arms along the edge of the table.

"I've always wanted to work at a restaurant," I began, keeping my eyes trained on the steaming mug as I talked. "Ever since I was young, I was fascinated by restaurants. Growing up, I was obsessed with cooking and learning to cook. Especially in this beautiful country..."

My eyes glazed over momentarily, recalling my childhood memories as I relived those happier times. A soft expression crept onto my face as I recalled how close I had been to achieving my lifelong dream. I was able to make friends easily in elementary school, and even though I struggled academically, I never really cared. When I realized how hard it was to get anywhere in life, I stopped trying, and focused on improving myself instead.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your story, but what did you say your name was again?" Jackie interrupted, snapping me out of my nostalgia.

Realizing that I had completely spaced out, I quickly recounted my name, shaking off the melancholy memories. "It's Levi. Levi Christo," I replied as politely as possible.

"Nice to meet you, Levi," he replied with a charming smile. "Please call me Jack."
I laughed lightly, unsure of how else to respond.

Suddenly a knock came from the door entrance, prompting Jack to glance towards it. "That must be her," he commented.
I peered past Jack and saw a girl clad in a white dress approaching the table. She gave me a friendly wave as she approached.

"Hello. My name is June Kim, the assistant Chef, nice to meet you!" she greeted cheerfully.

She appeared about in her mid 30s, with bright, almond shaped eyes and long silky hair tied in a bun.
She was pretty, with her round face and chubby cheeks. She wore glasses and her skin was flawless, with high cheekbones and a prominent nose.

I smiled at her in return, taking in her appearance. She had a warm and welcoming personality, and seemed to be quite outgoing. "Hello," I replied.

Jackie introduced June to me, asking her to sit down next to him. Then he took his own seat.

"Now Levi," he said. "You mentioned you want to work in a restaurant." He paused, looking thoughtful. "Tell me, what kind of food do you enjoy eating most?" he inquired.

I hesitated slightly before answering, "Well...I guess my favorite thing to eat is the kimchi fried rice," I replied hesitantly.

"I see, and why do you want this job?" he questioned.
For a moment, I stared blankly into space. It felt weird talking so candidly about my personal interests with an employer.

After a short moment, I answered, "Because I love food and I can cook well. But I want to be a professional cook. One day, maybe I'll be a master chef. That's my dream."

June Kim smiled at the comment, looking pleased with my answer. Jackie nodded slowly. "And where do you usually live?" he asked me.

"In the south of France, actually in Paris but i recently just moved here," I answered simply.

"So you're studying culinary arts," he added. "I heard that a lot of students apply for this position to study abroad. Why did you choose this career path?"

I paused for a second, contemplating how to explain. Finally, I settled on the truth, deciding to give it all my best shot. "Because it was my grandfather's  dream," I responded simply.