Late To Work

I purposefully entered the cafe, ordering a ham and cucumber sandwich with extra mayonnaise. Sitting at my preferred table; comfortably next to a window but the only one with curtains if the sun is too bright. 

Tapping the table impatiently with my nails, I glanced at my analogue watch. It was one hour and thirty minutes too fast but it was my only watch so I kept it. It showed 7:32, meaning in reality, it was actually 6:02. I tutted, I was already two minutes late for work. However, late workers were common considering most came from far away planets. It all depended on the traffic on the interstellar motorway. 

By the time I was served it was already five past six, so I hurriedly gobbled down my sandwich and rushed out the door, generously leaving a tip as I did so. Turning right at Terracotta Street, I reached the interstellar travelling security system. Portals of all kinds were neatly spread out in the Town Square. Bustling workers rushed through the portals, briefly waving their passports at the security. I swiftly moved in with a group heading into a portal.

"Joanne Steps. Star Traveller Organisation." I informed the guard.

He nodded, satisfied. Stepping into the portal, I mentally braced myself. There was a rush of wind and I reached up with my right hand, grabbed the lever-like stick. I pulled, hard, making sure it went down the whole way. Immediately, the wind stopped and I staggered, finding myself in a brightly-lit conference room. 

The round table of Star Travellers glared at me. 

Damnit. 

I smiled cheerfully at them, "Nice traffic today, right? No jams at all! Guess the Portal Jam Solvers are doing their job well!"

All of them choose to ignore me. 

The oldest member stated softly, "You are late."

I take this as sign to explain, "Stacy, Vilgrin, Lofty, and of course old Hectaar."

 Hectaar frowned but I rushed on, "As you'd understand, my chosen planet is Killy and the Killians have not yet discovered how to construct a decent alarm clock. It didn't even ring this morning! I am sure of it!"

Hectaar let out a deep sigh and leaned back in his chair, "You are fully aware that you can change to another planet anytime you want, Joanne. Hopefully one that has 'decent' alarm clocks." He added, "Take a seat. We have much to discuss."

As I obediently took my seat in-between Vilgrin and Lofty, Stacy spoke up, "My planet, Earth, is developing below the average speed. They still have no idea what Killy, for example, means nor where it is. If it were not for the marvellous Portable Portals that were released last year, I would have been far later than Joanne."

Vilgrin admitted, "Earth was always a 'below average' planet. The most efficient space mission they've ever done is a trip to their moon. I don't understand why they even celebrate the day."

One of Lofty's heads nodded in agreement and the other laughed. I started defensively, "Earth is developing quite fine, thanks. They have lovely alarm clocks, for one."

Hectaar shook his head, "Joanne, I know Earth is your home planet and you have the instincts to defend it. However, all studies show that it's slow development is taking tow on the rest of the Multiverse. If Earth ceases to communicate with us for a few more years, it may well cease to exist as well."

 He continued, "Earth's extinction will affect it's universe and planets near it. The planet Mars' people have been funding for Earth and it's demolishment will destabilise it's economic. All the resources lost on Earth's surface is enough to colonise another planet altogether. As you know, Mars is rich with spices and has the only soil suitable to grow the legendary Letania trees. Their technology is also extremely advanced, enough to hide themselves and their civilisation from Earthens and their weird little things they call rovers. All their materials are highly requested by all the other planets in the Planetary Trade System. Undoubtedly, they would raise the prices in order to improve their destabilised economic."