Arguments and Plans

After escorting General Scorch back to Scald with stern lectures and harsh fines I treated myself to half of the money. He'd given us two Scaldian paper money slips which would equal to thirty each in Killian tokens. 

I loved my job, I loved telling people off and solving all the problems and I also loved when, at the end of the day, Lofty always surprised us with home-made treats. Today, it was special cinnamon buns she'd actually made using the original Earth recipe.

For some reason, eating it at the round table brought back memories of home at Earth even though I'd only been there for a few hours. I was born and then immediately flown to Killy where I'd been sent to the best schools without knowing who ever paid the school fees. 

Until those people died and I had to pay myself. I pushed away the horrible first moments of my memories and let myself be consumed by the hot cinnamon bun. Sipping some warm Tarian tea, me and Stacy shared our finds. 

Stacy said plainly, "Earth is extremely disorganised and completely immature. No one there has read the extremely popular 'Daily Multiverse' newspapers meaning they are behind on all the latest trends and technologies."

I remained quiet, knowing if I let Stacy present everything then nothing would turn to me so I wouldn't have to admit that Earth was dying. Stacy shuddered, "The portal had me and Joanne falling from the top of Mount Everest- the tallest mountain on Earth. If it had not been for my Portable Portals device, we would not have survived."

Hectaar added, "While you were off, I popped over to Killy to figure out the problem with the alarm clocks and it is slightly worrying that they haven't invented the decent electrical types yet. However, what is more worrying is the reason." 

He continued, "Apparently, the information and resources needed to make these sort of alarm clocks are rich in Mars and therefore Killy has extended communication regarding trading to the red planet. Mars claims that they are running out of resources from all that is spent on trying to improve Earth's technology. They admit that they are proud that Earth has finally discovered electrical cars and could soon discover flying ones. So their remaining resources are not enough to trade with Killy. The government of Killy has since cut off all trade routes to Mars in retaliation of the insult."

There is a little tremble of wincing and Lofty and Vilgrin start muttering to each other. 

I finish my cinnamon bun and decided to break my silence, "Earth isn't so bad. It's citizens seem to enjoy habituating the planet. There is plenty of food to go around and the air quality only falters in Industrial Areas"

I know my attempt to defend Earth is weak but I bristle when even Lofty scoffs at it. 

I try again, "There is potential in Earth and we can't just let it go. How can we save Earth?"

Vilgrin frowns and starts to try to squash the idea, "We can't just save a planet. It would take lots of—"

Lofty interrupts, bursting through passionately, "I wanted you to say that, Joanne! Earth can be saved!"

Vilgrin groans, "Lofty! I was just saying, it would take dozens of resources, which we don't have, and even then we can't exactly feed knowledge into those tiny brains!"

Stacy says calmly, "OH, Vilgrin Tryle, so I have a tiny brain than?"

There is unmistakable tension in the room and Hectaar is the only one who looks relaxed, leaning back in his chair and watching us intently. He seems to find our arguments hilarious and, when I think of it, I find it funny too. 

Smiling, I lean across the table to everyone, "Look, arguing is ridiculous right now. What we really need to do is find a way to preserve Earth for as long as possible." 

When Vilgrin starts to speak up, I hold up a hand, "We don't have to invest much. Just a few new technologies could get them started. Introducing the Multiverse won't be hard either, just broadcast it on radio and everyone'll believe us. Let them figure it out from there."

Everyone exchanges some uncertain glances but I am surprised when it is Vilgrin that first admits, "Sounds good."

Then everyone else is convinced and all we need to do is carry out the plan.