Chapter 8: An Unwanted Reunion

Avaline POV

As Ryo and I were walking towards Place des Vosges after exiting the arcade, I suddenly saw a girl with jet black hair and dark blue eyes, fair skin and wearing a light blue top with a grey skirt and beige boots walking down pathway. As soon as she saw me, she sneered.

"Well well. If it isn't Avaline the Soulless. When Jacob said he saw you, I was shocked."

 Katherine Montoya. One of my former friends and the very person who betrayed me in the past.

"Katherine." I replied stiffly.

Katherine smiled. "Aww. Still glum as always. You used to be more brighter before."

"That was when you decided to stab me in the back along with Jacob." I responded bitterly.

Katherine waved me off before turning to Ryo and smirked. "And who are you?"

"Mr-I'm-not-the-one-who-betrayed-their-friends-for-a-group-of-sociopaths." Ryo replied sarcastically.

"Oh yes. The one Jacob saw at that party." Katherine says, dismissing Ryo's sarcasm.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Oh. I just wanted to see my old friend who I haven't seen in years. How are you and that sister of yours is doing?" The witch asked.

I scoffed. Katherine never cared one wit about Abigail. So, her asking about her was unexpected.

"What do you care? You enjoyed messing with our feelings when you admitted you befriended us out of pity." I said to her.

Katherine had a  look of shock. "Bringing that up? How harsh. It's no wonder you don't have any friends."

"She does. Starting with me." Ryo said, defending me.

"Oh~. Are you certain that she's not doing it just to make Jacob jealous?" Katherine asked with a smirk.

"Avaline told me a lot about you and Jacob. And I've dealt with fake friends in the past as well. So, don't try and manipulate me." Ryo countered.

I looked at him with gratitude while Katherine scowled.

"Well. I've come to tell you that I'll be attending Françoise Dupont in about a few months. Hopefully, I'll see you there. Along with Jacob." Katherine says as she turns to leave.

"What? No apology for what you did?" I asked mockingly.

My ex friend looked back at me. "We both know that I have no regrets. Jacob, on the other hand, may have some."

And with that, Katherine left.

"What a bitch." I muttered, wiping away the tears from my eyes.

"As if Lila and Edward weren't bad enough." Ryo sighed as he held my shoulder. "Will you be ok?"

"I hope so." I replied, meeting his gaze.

I thought back to the moment we almost kissed at Chloe's party and blushed as I looked away.

"L-let's head back to my place." I said.

"R-right." Ryo replied.

After a while, we reached my house. 

"Hey, tomorrow we're heading out for ice cream. You wanna come along?" Ryo asked.

I twirled my hair and nodded.

"Sure." 

Afterwards, we parted ways.

If Katherine and Jacob do come to our school, then I better prepare for the worst.