Dancing Diner

Staring blankly at the many books in front of me as I lay on my stomach in my satin pjs, my mind too clustered, studying seemed nearly impossible. I couldn't stop staring at the piece of paper with Spencer's number on it. Thoughts twirled around my head left and right as I fought myself on what to do. Do I call her? No. Definitely not. I don't want to come off too eager...I should definitely just ignore it. I cannot afford any drama. What if this is my sign? My time to take a leap and do something with risks.
      I know it's probably going to end up a mistake but I can't miss the opportunity. Somebody is finally interested in me! After much consideration I began to type the number into my phone. This is a bad idea.

Unknown phone number: Hey :)

A smiler face? Really Sadie? I should just delete it before she replies. My heart stopped for a moment when my phone lit up with a notification.

Spencer: who is this?

Unknown phone number: it's Sadie. From English?

Spencer: oh Blondie? I thought you hated me ;)

Blondie: I don't hate you...

Spencer: good 😘 have you made up your mind about next Friday?

Blondie: I'm still thinking

Spencer: guess I'll just have to persuade you x

Blondie: good luck with that

Spencer: see you tomorrow Blondie ;)

Blondie: byeeee

I exhaled harshly as if I'd been holding my breath the entire time. I found myself making up scenarios based on what she could've meant by persuading me...It's probably not what I'm thinking. She said she wanted to be friends. Just friends.
        A knock on my bedroom door snapped me out of my endless thought train. "Come in!" My mum appeared from behind the door with a soft smile. "How's studying?" She asked with a polite tone. I smiled to try and hide the fact I haven't done any studying since being home "it's alright...Mum?"  She came and sat at the end of my bed and turned her head slightly indicating for me to carry on. "I met a new friend today, her names Spencer" she gasped and clapped her hands with joy "that's amazing!" I giggled lightly at her reaction. "Well she's invited me to a little get together next Friday...And I was wondering if maybe I could go?"
        The smile fell from her face and was replaced with a more serious look "you know your father will not approve darling" I rolled my eyes. Although I shouldn't be surprised. "Not even for an hour?" She put her hand on my knee "I'm sorry Sadie, it's for your own good. He just wants to keep you safe and make sure you've got a good future" I started playing with my fingers, the way I always did when I was either nervous or upset. In this case, I was upset. Once again I was denied a chance to do something that's purely just for fun. "Okay" I muttered followed by a fake smile so my mum didn't see I was upset by her answer. "Alright dear, get some rest" she patted my knee lovingly before exiting my room.
       Laying my head down, I couldn't stop replaying my interactions with Spencer. There's so many things I want to know about her, my curiosity was aching to be satisfied. Who is she? What's the scar on her face from? What's her story? Spencer was written all over my mind. I looked at my clock and saw it was 12 am. Yeah I should probably get some sleep.
       Tossing and turning for what seemed like hours I opened my eyes. 1:30 am? Are you kidding me? With a groan I turned my back to my clock and proceeded to try to sleep. Again. More tossing, more turning, 2 am. This is pointless. Accepting defeat I switched my phone on and tried to entertain myself in hopes of me drifting off naturally. Like a pull, a force, my finger found itself floating over Spencer's name. Another bad idea...Why not?

Blondie: hey, you awake?

...

I knew it was a silly idea. Just as I closed my eyes again, my phone buzzed.