two| reunited

Aliana

Kyle and I unpacked the boxes in under two hours. He showed me to my room upstairs. The inside was pretty standard. All the walls in the house are beige colored. He was never the type to decorate his home. He has family photos hanging on the wall along the stairs. The kitchen, living room, and dining area are on the first floor. His room is upstairs at the end of the hallway. My room is at the top of the stairs to the left. I have my own bathroom, which is a major plus. This might not be so bad after all. I was skeptical at first. But so far, Kyle has been welcoming, and after we ate dinner and watched a movie, he didn't cling to me like I thought he would. I spent the rest of the night unpacking all my things and listening to the strong gusts of wind and the hard pattering of raindrops against my window. Hurricane Agatha tore up the Outer Banks, no doubt. I'm surprised I slept through while it wreaked havoc on the island.

I got up and took my shower. It's still early morning, but I'm ready to start my day and reunite with my friends, beginning with John B. I know Mom is expecting me to call her at some point. I open my closet and tighten the towel around my body. I wear my black bikini, jean shorts, and a yellow crop shirt over it. I double-check my appearance in the mirror, then walk into the bathroom and blow dry my hair. My anxiety is already getting worse, and I haven't even gotten to John B's house yet.

Hopefully, he still lives at the fish shack.

I sit down at my dresser and open my makeup bag. I don't wear much, just water-proof mascara, lipgloss, foundation, and eyeshadow. I unlock my phone and call my mother to get it over with. I begin brushing my hair while waiting for her to answer.

"Hello, Honey," she says, excited and relieved to hear from me. "How are you settling in? How is Kyle?"

I roll my eyes and set down my hairbrush. "He's good. He has his own place and is happy to spend the summer with me." I answer, leaning back in my chair. "Kyle's in a good place."

"I'm glad to hear that." Her tone says the opposite. "Is he still speaking with-"

I interrupt her, knowing exactly what she's about to ask. After shutting me down for two years, now she wants to ask about Dad. "He lost contact with him after we left."

"Oh."

I suck in a breath. "I haven't seen him, Mom. And I don't think I'm going to." The least I can do is give her some peace of mind. "You have nothing to worry about."

"What are your plans for today?"

I stand up and slip on my sandals. I know she's not interested in my activities for today. She wants to make sure I'm not getting into any trouble. "I'm going to see John B and the others."

"What else?"

I roll my eyes. "Mom! Stop drilling me. I just got here last night, and it's only morning."

If you were that worried about me, then maybe you should've come too.

"Okay, Aliana, I'm sorry. Can you blame me? And to be fair, those friends of yours have always been troublemakers."

I need to get off the phone before I say something I'll regret. "What? Oh, I'll be down in a second!" I pretend Kyle is shouting for me from downstairs—the things I do because of this woman. "Mom, I got to go. I'll call you later. Kyle made breakfast."

"Oh, well, that's alright, then. You better call me tonight. I want to hear all about your day."

"I will. I love you. Bye." I end the call and let out an exhausted sigh.

How am I supposed to have a fun summer if she's going to be keeping tabs on me every day? I leave my room and grumpily go down the steps. "Kyle?" I call for my brother as I reach the bottom of the stairs. Did he leave already?