ten| the first night

Aliana

Two years ago

So much for a happy family.

I can barely keep my eyes open from Mom and Dad being loud again last night. I try to focus on the homework laid in front of me on the kitchen table. I wanted to go outside this weekend, but it's raining. I have schoolwork due on Monday anyway. I haven't written anything down. All I can think about are my friends. And this empty house. I hate being alone. Dad is most likely at a bar. Mom is on a dinner date with one of her lady friends. Kyle is hanging out with his friends. I'm the unlucky one. I'm stuck at home. This blows. I look out the window at the downpour. Why couldn't today be sunny and warm? I look at the clock. It is only seven in the afternoon. I'm exhausted and I can always get this done tomorrow.

I grab my bookbag off the chair beside me and unzip it, taking out a folder and sliding my homework back inside. Maybe Pope can help me with it. I put the folder back in the bag and zip it up. The front door opens, and Kyle strolls inside. 

"Hey, girlie." He smiles at me and takes off his shoes by the door. "Is your homework done?" he asks.

I bite my lip and look away. "Yeah. Easiest stuff ever."

"I bet. You're a smart girl, Ali." He opens the fridge. "Where's Mom and Dad?" He looks at his watch and notices that it's getting late. They probably don't want to come home and risk the chance of bumping into each other.

I shrug my shoulders. "Mom said she was having dinner with a friend. I don't know what Dad is doing. He wasn't here when I came out of my room."

He closes the fridge and turns around to face me. "Well, are you hungry?"

"Don't you have to leave for work at the auto shop?" I ask, standing up. I hope he can stay home with me. He can cook something for us, and we can chat together. 

He frowns and rubs the back of his neck sheepishly. "I have to work, but I'll be home by midnight."

"I'll be sleeping," I mumble, looking down at my feet. I never get to hang out with him anymore.

"How about I give you some cash, and you can order something?" He pulls out a couple of twenty-dollar bills and hands them to me. "I got to be there by eight, and it's already seven-thirty."

I take the cash and follow him to the front door. "Bye."

"Good night, Ali. Love you, sis." He leaves and closes the door behind him.

I sigh and hang my head back. I need to get used to this empty house eventually. It's been different since Dad got laid off from his job. He spends all day on the computer searching for jobs like Mom wants, but when he chooses to take a break, he goes out and doesn't come back until late. I go into my room that's down the hall. We don't have an upstairs. All our rooms and bathrooms are on this first floor, the only floor in the house, not including the basement. I close my door and place the sixty dollars my big brother gave me on my dresser. I grab my phone and lay flat on my stomach on my bed. I'm so bored I need to talk to someone.

Me: Hey, Kie. Wyd?

Kiara reads my text instantly and sends a reply.

Kie: Can't talk. Working at the restaurant.

I groan and toss my phone next to me. There's a sudden tap on my window, and I jump. Tap. Tap. Tap. I get up and approach my window to see JJ standing outside in the rain. He's soaked. He must've walked all the way over here. I quickly push the window open and grab hold of his arm.