six| the marina rat

Aliana

We returned to John B's place and decided to ride into town in the Twinkie, John B's van. We still have a few more hours before it's dark. I'm sitting in the back with Pope and JJ. Kiara is in the passenger seat. I'm still mad at JJ for taking the gun and the money, and I'm not the only one. Pope hasn't spoken a word to him the whole ride into town. Kiara and John B are in their own conversation since they are sitting beside each other. I'm stuck in awkward silence with these two boys. My phone vibrates in my pocket, and I quickly pull it out, relieved to distract myself.

Kyle: Hey. Just checkin' in. I might be stuck in the office way later than I thought.

Me: Okay, bro. I'm still with my friends. Don't know when I'll be home. No curfew, right? ;)

I bite my lip when the three chat bubbles appear, letting me know he's typing his reply. I might be pushing my luck, but it is summer. What Mom doesn't know won't kill her.

Kyle: You have fun, but stay out of trouble. Make sure you're home before 5 am. I don't need you staying out all night and keeping me worried.

Me: You are the best! I'll text you when I'm home. I promise. Luv you <3

I finish my message and hit send, putting my phone back in my pocket. "Whoa. What's happening over there?" Kiara asks, gazing out the window at the marina crowded with locals.

"Something must've happened." John B says and pulls along the curb.

We all exit the van and approach the locals surrounding the marina. I rise on my tiptoes and attempt to see over the people's shoulders. They suddenly gasp and begin whispering among each other. What the hell has them captivated? I move to the side and catch a glimpse of a bloated, open-eyed, dead body being lifted off a police boat and on a longboard. My eyes widen in shock, and I step back. No fucking way.

I am frozen to the spot. I can't seem to tear my eyes away from the corpse. An older woman pushes her through the crowd of residents. "Scooter! Oh, my god! Scooter!" She buckles with grief over the stretcher and sobs. "No, no! Scooter!"

My heart aches for the poor woman. I'm pretty sure I saw her waiting in line at the Coast Guard Station. She's been worried sick about her missing husband, and now...here he is. Dead. Tears well up in my eyes as I watch her cry over her husband's body, shaking with grief while the paramedics start pulling the stretcher through the crowd. I wipe my eyes and flinch when I feel someone touch my arm.

I look over and see JJ standing beside me, looking concerned. He doesn't say a word and takes my hand, pulling me over to where the others have gathered. I hate this nice and rude behavior he's doing with me. It's confusing. He should just pick a mood and stick with it.

John B looks over at the little boy standing near us. "Who is it?" he asks him, referring to the dead body.

"Scooter Grubbs. He was out during the storm," he answers and angles his phone screen to us. "Check out my pic."

I instantly look away, but the others observe his picture of the corpse. "Gross," Kiara whispers.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ asks the question we are all quietly thinking.

I close my eyes and pray the answer is not what I think it is. "Somehow, that dirtbag had a brand new Grady-White. Everyone's out looking for it."

Fuck. The boat we found was Scooter Grubb's boat.

All five of us go still and quiet at this revelation. We searched a dead guy's boat. John B and JJ searched and stole things out of this dead guy's motel room. Pope looks like he's about to have an aneurysm. This is bad. This day keeps getting worse. What else is going to happen? We hurry back over to the Twinkie and quickly get inside. John B speeds down the road, desperate to return to the Chateau so we can discuss this privately.