seven| let's have a party

JJ

A party is the type of distraction we need right now, and it's the perfect cover before we really get into searching that boat. With the money I took from the motel, I bought many packs of red plastic cups. I convinced one of my older buddies to buy a few kegs. Kiara is getting the word out that a party is happening on the boardwalk and beach. It doesn't take us long to get things started. Aliana went home to change into something else while the rest of us headed down to the beach and set up the kegs. You can't understand the Outer Banks without understanding the boneyard. That's what the beach is called because branches and logs are scattered up and down the shore. I fill up cups with foamy beer as people start making their entrance.

We have the Pogues, the working-class fuckups who live on the Cut, also known as the south side. That's the group we fall under. Then there are the Kooks. The rich second-homers. They are primarily from poncey-ass boarding schools, trustafarian posers—our natural enemies. And the best for last, we have the tourists. Chum for the sharks, only here for a week's vacation with their families. That's all the people that show up to the party. It's not even nighttime, and things are already kicking off into high gear. Kiara is sitting at the bonfire, flirting with a hot tourist guy. Pope is chatting with a tourist girl, and John B is sitting on one of the branches sticking out of the ground with a tourist girl.

I've already drunk two cups of beer, so I go to one of our kegs and fill my cup again. All the Kooks are gathered on one side of the beach, and we are gathered a few feet away. I take a few sips of the beer and look around for Aliana. I haven't seen her since she went home to change.

Kiara walks over to John B, but she glances across the beach and scowls. "What is she doing here?" she asks, crossing her arms over her chest.

I follow her gaze and see the Kook princess, Sarah Cameron, standing on top of a buoy in the sand, looking out into the ocean for whales. Kiara and she used to be best friends in the ninth grade, but they became instant enemies in the tenth grade.

"Baby! Sarah, what are you doing up there?" Topper, her boyfriend, raises his hands to help her down.

Her brother, Rafe, is a few feet away, drinking with another of his buddies, Kelce. We have the most trouble with those Kooks. I take another sip of my beer and turn away. I'm here to have a good time.

"Ali!" Kiara yells and runs over to Aliana, who is walking down in the sand. She's on her phone, but whatever she's looking at clearly has her upset from how her mouth turns downward and her eyebrows scrunch together.

She finally puts her phone away. She changed into gray cotton shorts and a white crop top. I can't stop myself from trailing my eyes up and down her figure. She braided her hair into two sections down the middle. She smiles when Kiara grabs her hand.

"Come on. Let's get you a drink, then you can start mingling with the tourists." Kiara practically drags her to the keg and grabs a cup, filling it with beer and handing it to her.

"Yo, Kiara!" The tourist she was talking with earlier grabs her attention.

Aliana notices her hesitating and nudges her arm. "Go on. I'll be okay," she says, assuring her.

Kiara smiles gratefully at her and runs back over to the bonfire. My eyes linger on her bare stomach and the curves of her waist. God, she is so...I shake my head out of my reverie and chug the rest of the beer in my cup. I need to distract myself. This girl doesn't realize the hold she has on me. I go back to the keg and start filling my cup again. I look up at Aliana and frown. She's back on her phone, leaning against a log with that same distraught expression. I wish I could go over there and find out what's bothering her, but I can't give in that easily. She can handle herself. My eyes widen when she tilts her head back and drinks every drop of alcohol from her cup. I quickly look away and drink some of my beer.