SEVEN.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

CHAPTER SEVEN

SPARRING UP

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

In the cool morning air of Ms. Hicks' class, the day kicks off with the usual hustle—students shuffling in, some eager, others just barely awake. Diana's already there, seated, her eyes scanning the room like she's piecing together a puzzle only she can see.

When Omari walks in, there's a shift, a subtle but unmistakable change in the atmosphere. He throws Diana a casual nod, that silent 'wassup' that they've exchanged a hundred times before.

"You good today?" Diana throws the question out, casual but with an edge of real concern.

Omari, with that trademark grin that seems to dare the world to try him, responds in that gritty, almost playful defiance, "Of course." He says in his usual aggressive tone that comes naturally with him.

That's when the door nearly comes off its hinges. Thaina makes her entrance, and it's like a storm cloud just parked over the classroom.

Her mood's broadcasting loud and clear: DON'T PLAY WITH ME

Omari, spotting Thaina's thunderous entrance, gives a look of annoyance. However he can't help himself. The smirk on his face grows; he's always ready for the drama.

Diana watches the scene unfold, her senses telling her this is about to escalate beyond the usual classroom banter.

Ms. Hicks, doing her best to navigate the sudden tension, reaches out with a voice that's all about keeping the peace. "Running a bit late, Thaina? Everything okay?"

Thaina's not having any of it, her reply short and anything but sweet. "Just had to deal with something. Sorry for being late."

Omari, leaning into his role as the class provocateur, lets out a low, challenging chuckle. "How the fuck you always dealing wit' something?" It's quiet, meant for those nearby, but it cuts through the noise of the room.

Thaina whirls on him, her patience frayed to breaking. "On some real shit stop talking to me dawg, you 'bout to piss me off. I'm really not beat for it today."

Diana, usually one to pick sides, finds herself playing the mediator today. "Yo, can we just chill today? Like y'all mad annoying and childish damn. Ms. Hicks, what's on the agenda?"

Ms. Hicks, seizing the moment to regain control, acknowledges Diana with a nod. "Thank you, Diana. Let's focus on today's topic, please."

The room settles, the undercurrent of drama between Thaina and Omari taking a back seat to the day's lesson. But it's there, simmering under the surface, a reminder that the classroom is just another arena where life's battles play out.

As the class starts winding down and Ms. Hicks focuses on the final points of her lecture, Omari sees his chance. He quietly zips up his bag and slips out with barely a nod to anyone, leaving a slight stir in his wake but no major disruption.

Marcus saunters in just as Omari makes his quiet exit, scanning the room quickly for his buddy. Noticing Omari's absence, his eyes land on Thaina, offering her a half-smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes—a silent acknowledgment of the mess from the night before. Thaina just rolls her eyes, her frustration with Omari not quite extending to Marcus with the same intensity.

As the bell finally rings, signifying freedom, Marcus wanders over to Thaina, unable to leave well enough alone. "So, what's this beef with you and Omari about? He the one who got the right to be mad at you. Cause on some real shit you should be mad at lil nigga who been bothering this nigga for years now." he asks, half-teasing, half-serious.