Chapter 20 - Benjamin the Jedi Watchmen

Author Note: Please kindly consider following, favoriting, and leaving a review. Your support greatly fuels my motivation for both writing and editing. Wishing you a wonderful day!

Chapter 20 - Edit

Appa's mighty roar pierced the skies as they soared through the clouds. Team Avatar occupied the saddle, their gazes fixed intently on the path ahead, their journey taking them deeper into the heart of the Fire Nation. The previous Avatar, Roku, had directed Aang to this place, urging him to seek a prolonged conversation. There were warnings and lessons to impart about Aang's next steps in their quest. Aang needed guidance, not only for himself but also to assist Benjamin.

Katara sighed, her fingers gently combing through Ben's hair as she used her other hand to adjust the blanket covering him. His eyes were closed, his breathing shallow. At a glance, he seemed asleep, but Aang had conveyed the dire nature of the situation. Once he entered the spirit world, there was no easy return. His spirit was adrift there, and they needed Roku's intervention to guide him back to the mortal realm.

Jet observed the fallen Jedi, running his hands through his hair in frustration. "I still don't understand. What happened?"

"Well, you see..." Aang began, attempting to explain.

Jet shook his head, silencing Aang. "No, that's not what I mean. Benjamin, he's different. He's changed ever since that time in the forest."

"What do you mean?" Sokka inquired, curiosity piqued.

Jet leaned against the saddle, his gaze locked on Ben as he continued. "He's supposed to be this powerful Jedi, taking on all these formidable foes. He destroyed Zhao's warship, defeated numerous dark Jedi and Fire Nation soldiers. But after what occurred in the forest..."

Katara recalled her interactions with Ben before that fateful encounter. His distant demeanor, the hints of fear and hesitation she had noticed. "Yes," she murmured in agreement.

Sokka chimed in, echoing Jet's sentiments. "Indeed, it's not just about what happened before the forest. Ben's been changing gradually for a while now. Ever since he constructed his lightsaber."

He recollected the incident in the cave, the moment when Ben had unleashed powerful electric blasts that crackled through the air, the eerie shift in his eyes from golden to euphoric orange, and his roaring battle cries. It was as if he had developed an insatiable hunger for combat, an unquenchable thirst for conflict.

Aang strained his eyes ahead, wrestling with a sense of guilt. Was he somehow responsible for Ben's struggle? He was different from Sokka and Katara, bound to accompany Ben on this journey. He couldn't shake the memory of Ben confessing his actions in the chasm. Had he coerced himself into this path?

Shaking off his doubts, Aang refocused on their immediate mission. "What are we going to do?" Sokka's voice cut through the heavy atmosphere, reminding them of the urgent task ahead.

Jet's eyes widened, and he turned toward the warrior with a perplexed expression. "What..." he mouthed, then glanced back at Katara and Aang. They were now beyond the Fire Nation borders. "You don't have a plan?"

Aang responded casually, "No? We usually just wing it like Ben does... or Sokka comes up with something on the fly."

Jet shook his head, his gaze darting to the side. They were officially within Fire Nation territory, the ornate temple perched atop a massive mountain visible in the distance. Aang guided Appa to land at a safe distance from the temple but still within walking distance.

As the group disembarked, Momo perched on Aang's shoulder. The Avatar gently removed the creature, pointing toward Ben's unconscious form. "You've got to watch out for Ben while we're gone," Aang instructed, though Momo simply stared at him, exuding an air of indifference. Momo then nestled atop Ben as Aang rolled off Appa's tail.