Prologue

Journey's End

The Legacy Saga

J. AdamsCopyright © 2015 J. Adams

All Rights Reserved.

Prologue

Treviso, Italy

"It is all right, amore. Shhh, it will be okay."

Oh, God, this hurts so much.

I shudder as a torrent of tears spill from my sightless eyes, soaking the front of my husband's t-shirt. We lay in bed and he rocks me slowly, emotion cracking his voice as he croons words of comfort.

I have lost another baby and my heart is shattering. This loss is even more painful than the last time. The first was last year–a honeymoon baby–and I loved it from the moment I read the positive test result. A month later, I was out pruning the rose bushes when the cramping started. That evening my pregnancy ended, and we were devastated.

After I healed, we began to try again and two months ago, we were finally successful. Sadly, yesterday the familiar cramps started again. And this morning, to my sorrow, I lost the baby. This time the pain is more than I can bear. I have stayed in bed all morning and Adagio has not left my side.

Keeping my head pressed against his chest, I silently ask the same question over and over.

Why? Why can't I have a baby? Why can't I give my husband a child?

You know why, comes the familiar reply in my deceased father's voice. Because you're worthless. If we hadn't adopted you, you would probably be living out on the streets somewhere following in the footsteps of your drug addict mother. After all, that's why you were born blind.

I'm not worthless!

Yes, you're a broken soul and not good for much of anything.

No! My mind slams shut the mental gate that has always protected my heart from Father's hateful and vile words. He had been an evil man, and when he died, I had been more relieved than anything. When he was alive, he did his best to make me feel worthless, and soon he began to treat Mother the same way. Deep inside, I know God loves and values me more than that.

But why does this keep happening?

As if he can read my thoughts–and I really believe he can at times–Adagio whispers against my brow, "You mean everything to me, Evangeline. Nothing is more important to me, and I know that when the time is right, we will be blessed with a child. When that time does come, nothing will stop it. As long as we have faith, any and everything is possible."

Smiling against his cheek, I whisper, "I know." Drawing back a little, I tearfully raise my eyes to his face, just making out his shadowed outline. I can feel the warmth of his gaze. "Thank you for reminding me. And for loving me."

He touches his lips to mine and I feel him smile. "Always."

* * *

Relaxing on a blanket out on the back lawn, Adagio lay with his head in my lap. With my eyes closed, I tip my head back, enjoying the sun's warmth, and slowly run my fingers through his hair, gently massaging his scalp. A gentle breeze flows over us, bringing with it the scent of the river. I know my surroundings. Though I have never seen them, I know, because Adagio has painted the picture for me and I see it all through his eyes. I see the rolling green lawn, the red and yellow buds on the rose bushes, the birds flying overhead in the brilliant blue sky. With my husband's descriptive words, I have seen more during our marriage than I ever have before, and I am grateful for these tender mercies.